Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Male vs Female Goths

More
14 years 4 months ago #10845 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Male and Female Goths
I quite like steampunk-styled clothes in general.

Maybe..Try Victorian fashions as a base and add on top smaller, silver, detailed steampunk articles, like the goggles raidohaglaz mentioned (if it's possible to find silver steampunk items - Most I see are brass-ish in colour).

I don't know. It works in my mind, but it depends what exactly you want to wear I guess. :P If only it wasn't 1:38am here - I'd draw something along the lines of what I'm thinking. Maybe it can wait until tomorrow..Hopefully the creativity will still be here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10879 by SkieShauphen
Awesome! That would be great. I love it when people draw things out for me :silly:

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 4 months ago #11120 by Katelyn
Replied by Katelyn on topic Re:Male and Female Goths
I can't really agree that women have more options for clothes. Of course, fashion has always been one of those 'shackles of social oppression' for women more so than men. I think retailers are just trying to trick the ladies by offering more items so maybe we won't notice that so much of it is so much like the rest. Ladies, how many times have you spent hours considering something like whether to go for the item with more black or the item with more red? Or pondering which items the other girls are most likely to be wearing? There is a big reason for the large supply of ladies clothes: it is embarrassing for women to show up someplace wearing the same dress as another lady (cat fights almost always ensue).

When it comes to goth, I think men have a lot more options. First of all, any man wearing all black anything will be immediately considered goth. A woman has to make sure her hair, nails, and make-up also fit the bill. Accurate period clothing is much more common in menswear too. Personally, I think steampunk offers the most variety of possibilities for both men and women, and it allows for inaccurate period garb because it is all fantasy. You mentioned military items: things like gas masks, googles, boots seem to work well with just about anything. I can see how modern uniform items may prove problematic based on color schemes and such. Modify some items to look more like WWI or WWII uniforms and throw in some steampunk jewelry.

Another good idea: create your own cyber costume. As long as you use plenty of plastics and throw in some led lights, you can do pretty much anything.

And of course, look around in unlikely places. Go to boutiques in the mall. Go to the expensive stores. Sure, you may only be able to buy one item when it is on clearance, but you will see quality tailoring, current high fashion trends, and you can pretend you are super rich and boss the salespeople around (this works best if you wear something they recognize as rich). The salespeople may look at you funny, but that is half the fun. Shop during Fall and Winter to ensure the proper color selection. Or early Spring for clearance winter items.

If the shoe fits, ask a man if you should wear it. He will then consult another woman. When he tells you yes, wear the shoes to insult the lady who makes you look good. ;D

More
14 years 4 months ago #11155 by ScorchingAngel
And then again, even being a girl, it is not also that easy to find decent and good looking clothing. Well except if you are a size mini. I am quite the opposite, so finding enough decent apparel is a bit of a pain. Luckily I do find the occasional dress over at Laughing Vampire, but she's decided to stop making almost every dress I can wear. So it's back to searching around for decent clothes!
Does anyone have a couple of tips for the bigger girls around that cannot find their clothing on the normal gothic clothing sites?

More
14 years 4 months ago #11165 by black_magnolia
ScorchingAngel wrote:

And then again, even being a girl, it is not also that easy to find decent and good looking clothing. Well except if you are a size mini. I am quite the opposite, so finding enough decent apparel is a bit of a pain. Luckily I do find the occasional dress over at Laughing Vampire, but she's decided to stop making almost every dress I can wear. So it's back to searching around for decent clothes!
Does anyone have a couple of tips for the bigger girls around that cannot find their clothing on the normal gothic clothing sites?

I've got the same problem! I think this is worth a thread for itself... :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 4 months ago #11209 by SkieShauphen
Yes, I think I've read three or four posts now about clothing sizes.
The thing is, I'm not so much into the steam punk and cyber fashions. In fact, I find that most cybers tend to be asses. I've stopped talking to them. It's the romantics that I associate with the most, at least the ones that aren't engrossed in fantasy. My base for an outfit is something classy with a top hat, eyeliner for a little edge, and sometimes a cane if I'm going somewhere more formal.

Meaning comes from within.

Time to create page: 0.284 seconds