Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Male vs Female Goths

More
14 years 5 months ago #10589 by raidohaglaz
Goth fashion for men is limited, as is fashion for men in general. Mens fashion depends on subtle variation instead of extravagantly different clothing. Just look at mens shoes, from afar, they are mostly the same, but each has its own details. Think the same for goth fashion. The same shirt, but with laces instead of buttons? Huge difference when talking about mens clothes. This might be a problem, but also an incredible boon: people don't mind if men constantly look the same. We're supposed to be dull and predictable. Since you're goth, you can be stylish to boot. :)
Also, on the first page, top picture. Look at what that guy is wearing. It is a necktie. Dress shirts and neckties can be very goth if executed correctly. Black and dark colours (bordeaux, purples, midnight blue, you get the idea), combined with some dark/baroque jewellery or such are great. Don't try to just think outside the box, don't just look to the extravagant and utterly morbid and defiant. Inside the box is so much useful stuff just waiting to be found.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #10597 by SkieShauphen
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I haven't had the money or other resources to buy anything premade online or at a goth store, so my wardrobe is solely thrift store and the like in denomination. My best outfit as of late is a black, button up dress shirt (I want to buy some AG buttons for it) a black or sometimes grey tie (yet again, I'd like an AG tie or two) some black dress pants or sometimes similar color jeans, combat boots, and a mesh shirt under the dress shirt. Sometimes I leave the dress shirt open if it's warm enough. I have to admit, it doesn't look half bad, espectially with a dab of eyeliner and nail polish. But that's it...there is nothing else I've been able to come across without a special manufacturer. I've messed around with a lot of army clothing, trying to work it in somehow. It's easy seeing as my father brings home military clothing all of the time. I just need a better technique with which to alter them.
All in all, men are deprived of wardrobes. I'm the kind of person that wants clothing that men have never worn before, but still show masculinity. I'm sick and tired of the old, boring drab, expressions of clothing. I want something new, something never worn before, something different, something designed personally for me...hmmmm

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 5 months ago #10601 by raidohaglaz
Something designed personally for you is going to wreak havoc on your budget. If you're low on cash, I would advise to mix and match (yes I said it) clothing that hasn't been mixed and matched before. Some weird combo's just seem to work, try it out, see what you think. Find out what other people think. I'm not of much help with it, I prefer a more classic look personally: long coat and top hat , frilly shirt with waistcoat (and I now realize a slightly off looking top hat. I need a tricorn), also, weird scarf tryout while I was in Stockholm .

More
14 years 4 months ago #10807 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Male and Female Goths
I also love that there seems to be more things available that look like they escaped from a Dickens novel. That's by far my favorite way to dress. I also like that the 1920's seem to be coming back in fashion for ladies. I see so many feathers, and what could pass as \"flapper dresses\". My two favorite eras for clothing. If everything could be designed by fans of Dickens and the Great Gatsby, I would be pleased.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10816 by SkieShauphen
I don't know. I'm a little weird....or I just can't decide. I've always wanted to mix the old victorian looking fashions with something new and scifi. Not sure how to do it yet. From what I've seen so far, it's not easy to make it look right. But I've noticed that no one ever messes with their hair when they try to blend the two. I might steal some hairstyles from the steampunks....

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10827 by raidohaglaz
Mixing Victorian/Romantic goth clothes with cyber sounds interesting, but balancing it could be tricky.
My first though would be to look at steampunk too, since it is basically Victorian scifi. Find some brown leather boots not unlike New Rocks (for a lack of a better example) and attach some brass buckles. Goggles wouldn't be difficult to think of and some fake black dreads or braids with copper or brass rings on them.
Mixing Regency style shirts with skirts and trousers with some bondagelike straps or buckles has been done over and over again, so that is a possibility too.

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds