Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Astrology/Horoscopes

More
13 years 11 months ago #21123 by Poledra1a
Replied by Poledra1a on topic Re:Astrology/Horoscopes
I've not heard of that - thats really interesting. Wiki didnt have much to say about it;

\"Although the constellation named Ophiuchus intersects the ecliptic, there is no zodiacal sign of that name in most versions of astrology. The signs are defined as 30-degree segments of the ecliptic, of which there are twelve, and they are named after nearby constellations at the time the system was developed, rather than being defined by the modern constellations. However, a few sidereal astrologers (such as Walter Berg) consider the Sun to be in the sign Ophiuchus when it is in the constellation Ophiuchus, which as of 2009[update] is November 29 to December 18. Since Ophiuchus is identified with Aesculapius, the Staff of Aesculapius is often used as a symbol for Ophiuchus. In Japan, an astrological symbol for Ophiuchus is in widespread use. The symbol is sufficiently common to be included in emoji,[2] and appears in the Final Fantasy video game series.[3]

Although not incorporated into the 12-sign zodiac, Ophiuchus and some of the fixed stars in it were sometimes used by astrologers in antiquity as extra-zodiacal indicators (i.e. astrologically significant celestial phenomena lying outside of the 12-sign zodiac proper). An anonymous 4th century astrologer, often known as Anonymous of 379, seems to have associated \"the bright star of Ophiuchus\", likely α Ophiuchi, with doctors, healers or physicians (ἰατρῶν).[4]\"

I'll have to do some more digging :cheer:

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21151 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Astrology/Horoscopes
Morgana wrote:

Ive heard of it, but I don't know a whole lot about it either. I thought it was only a couple of days though? November 19 to 22, or something like that?

I also remember reading somewhere that it was \"banished\" by some Pope or other several hundred years ago, for being evil, since it was associated with both snakes and the number 13.

Wouldn't be surprised. A lot of history etc. has been lost due to being 'censored' by religious people..'Tis a shame. I get ever-so curious about these 'missing' things.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21152 by SkieShauphen
Well. I'm a Taurus. From what I've read, most of the personality traits of the Taurene are correct for me. Although, I do have trouble believing in the day to day actions based off of some theory involving the placement of the planets and stars.

Meaning comes from within.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21162 by Envy
I never really read into my Western(?) zodiac traits. I just know I'm a Scorpio.

I've always used the Chinese zodiacs instead - Comes naturally in my family. I was born in the year of the monkey, and those traits have always uncannily matched my personality.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_astrology

More
13 years 11 months ago #21176 by black_magnolia
I'm a Snake in the Chinese zodiac, but didn't really look into it a lot. I think the Chinese zodiac system is quite complex, but maybe that's just my opinion because I'm not that familiar with it.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21180 by Envy
:laugh: The Chinese in general have very complex workings out..Especially regarding astrology. Our calendar follows the lunar cycle, which is why it may seem more unusual.

:P I think it's great. I have two birthdays per year and two new years too.

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds