Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

\"Gothic Charm School\"

More
14 years 4 months ago #12112 by Kitessa76
I have a copy of the book, and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. The author manages to state her point quite eloquently, with a fabulous dose of humour thrown in. What I found interesting is that a lot of what she states is applicable to both those of us in the 'scene,' and those that are not. A lot of it is basic manners and common sense, a quality frequently sadly lacking in modern society.

Jillian Venters does touch on the notion of the 'gothier-than-thou' attitude some people maintain; most of this can be found within the chapter titled, 'Am I a Goth?' The chapter basically explains that whilst there are some values inherent in goths, you don't have to adhere to all traits, or even embrace any of them to be a 'goth.' You don't have to be 'ooky-spooky' (I love that term) all the time, wear a full face of makeup, constantly dress in black etc etc... I'll quote from page 24 of the book, which I think sums it up rather well, and should help banish some ridiculous notions some people have of 'I am gothier than you' (shame none of those types of people are reading this!)

'\"You can't be a Real Goth if...\" Oh please-what rubbish. There is no activity, interest, or item of clothing that will get one summarily thrown out of the world of goth.'
'...they don't only do things that are on some sort of pre-approved Goth activity list. (Another thing that doesn't really exist, much like the Secret Goth Cabal.)'

Jillian Venters often makes tongue in cheek amusing references to a fictional 'Secret Goth Cabal' that somehow supplies us all with goth cards that are stamped every time we do something gothy, thereby proving one can be gothier than another.

One thing I like to remember: those that look down upon others for not being 'gothy enough' really don't understand what it is to be goth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #12118 by raidohaglaz
The book just bounced into the mailbox! :)
I'll giving a read through tonight or tomorrow.

More
14 years 4 months ago #12158 by SkieShauphen
Yes, I started reading it not too long ago and I'm anxious to get to chapter 8. Hopefully it will give me some advice on job interviews and some fashion tips. Jillian is a great speaker in her book and her words move eloquently across the page. So far, out of the first 7 chapters, it's common sense and being polite that Mrs. Venters goes on about as stated before me. I do love the little comments about the goth cards and secret goth cabel though. It makes me smirk.

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #12172 by scootiebee
That's it. I am ordering this book today. I really want to read it!

Okay, I ordered it. Just have to wait on Amazon delivery now...

Nothing to see here, move along folks.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by scootiebee. Reason: ordered the book!

More
14 years 4 months ago #12373 by scootiebee
Got it this afternoon, just unwrapped it, so I will sit and read it now. Can't wait!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 4 months ago #12380 by black_magnolia
I hate you Americans and your 2 day shipping! Mine still isn't here!!! *moans*
:silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds