Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

hard to be

More
14 years 8 months ago #2910 by CorpseQueen
scootiebee wrote:

I live in Maryland, 40 minutes from DC, but here I get strange looks. Some people like my pirate coat, but most are freaked by skulls, black, and Victorian blouses. I had another parent complain about my outfit once to the school principal, but at least I don't dress like I bought all my clothes at Wal-Mart. My hair changes colors often, but people always recognize me from the clothes. I think some people are amused, some are weirded, but almost universally kids like it. I volunteer at the school library, and every kid in school knows who I am and complements my stuff. Strange.

The difference between generations, it seems. I believe it's possible to learn an old dog to sit, but it's real hard... Guess they're scared of it, because they don't understand it, and what if their own kids end up that way... how will they handle it?
Myself, I got a grandma that's pretty cool. She likes to see the Pride-parade, where homosexual and bi-sexual and transsexuall and other different kinds of not 'normal' people walk trough the city. She doesn't like the extreme tho, she does not like my collar with spikes, but my leathercoat she find pretty elegant

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #2939 by cemwerewolf
My grandmother is much the same way as are manty of the older generation. Though she absolutely adores the victorian style articles I wear more often than not, when I branch out into spikes and bondage pants she has a few things to say about it. But then that matter all boils down to dressing appropriately for the venue . . .

More
14 years 8 months ago #2945 by scootiebee
My mom smirks, thinks it's funny, and then realizes that I am happy with it. Good thing she lives almost 1000 miles away, or she would probably have a stroke having to see me every day. Then again, she lives in the Florida Keys, and she dresses like she is going to the beach every day. I think she looks strange! Strange is relative. If my daughter grows up to wear conservative business wear every day, that's fine. She wants to be an astronaut. Should I smirk at her little blue jumpsuit? Not a chance! No matter what she does, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, why not?

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 8 months ago #2946 by cemwerewolf
Good for you! There are far too many parents out there who seem to have a major problem with their children expressing themselves through their clothing. It's refreshing to hear someone being supportive of their child's individuality.

More
14 years 8 months ago #3247 by knumpcy
dr.marcius_von_rosenstein wrote:

ave,

in my country the young people dont accept how i look, how ever the older once like it.
(wishdom comes with the ages) i generally wear victorian cloths and not gothic.

What you wear (Victorian) is more or the real Gothic compared to what is mostly worn today, just because what is popular in the mainstream, is not the real essence.

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity

More
14 years 8 months ago #3256 by anastasia13
I find it exciting to find other people that have the same issues with the trappings of modern society. Maybe some of us would like to it be where chilvary isn't dead and where we dress of that era..Even when I find clothes, pieces that I like, I wear some cool funky socks, Docs, with a long black KiKwear skirt, and funky tee, and some jewelry and have my curly hair up in some fashion, I get stared at. I think it's not how we dress, it's how he hold ourselves up. I'm a non-conformist. I wear what I like and where I live, Texas in the United States, well that is where cowboy boots and jeans come in, not long red dresses in 100 degree heat. Then again I have one time of year that is my favorite, Renaissance Faire, that is awesome. I can garb up and rock out for 2 weeks. There is a Medieval Times here in Dallas, that's always fun especially when you dress up too. Wish they sold Alchemy Gothic there! I was there one time and a guy bought a suit of armor for 2000 dollars and it was fully functioning too!!! Either way I get looks too, but I think it's because I don't look or act my age whatsoever, so they can \"label\" me all they want, I do, think, eat, wear what I like and there is no one to stop me.

Anastasia

Those who stand in white blessed light might not always be good, those who stand in the inky shadows of darkness might not always be evil.

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds