Show Navigation Menu

Things you want to do before you die?

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #10737 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

(I was thinking, for some time now, about getting a license for a tourist guide... They are really strict here about showing sites to tourists without having a license. If they catch you showing someone the city and speaking a foreign tongue - they fine you with no pardon.)

But what if there was a mistake and you were just explaining something to a tourist? :ohmy:

They wouldn't fine me for that, but for an example: if I would stand by the Golden gate (it's a triumph arch, originally the entrance to the town to which the street from Rome lead...) and talk something about the gate to some people etc. they would fine me. They know foreign languages so they listen to you a bit and when they figure you are talking something about the site they show you their badges and write you a fine (they are mostly in civil cloths when on duty).
The biggest problem is with foreign people (tourist agents) who accompany a group on a trip and instead of paying a local tourist guide, they read a bit on the net and then they lead the tourist around...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by black_magnolia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10759 by Morgana
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

(I was thinking, for some time now, about getting a license for a tourist guide... They are really strict here about showing sites to tourists without having a license. If they catch you showing someone the city and speaking a foreign tongue - they fine you with no pardon.)

But what if there was a mistake and you were just explaining something to a tourist? :ohmy:

They wouldn't fine me for that, but for an example: if I would stand by the Golden gate (it's a triumph arch, originally the entrance to the town to which the street from Rome lead...) and talk something about the gate to some people etc. they would fine me. They know foreign languages so they listen to you a bit and when they figure you are talking something about the site they show you their badges and write you a fine (they are mostly in civil cloths when on duty).
The biggest problem is with foreign people (tourist agents) who accompany a group on a trip and instead of paying a local tourist guide, they read a bit on the net and then they lead the tourist around...

But what if it was a personal friend who you were giving a full tour of the city to? Surely they wouldn't fine you for that!

I can sort of see the point though... I guess they don't want unqualified people giving out false history and information about local landmarks.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10773 by Envy
Morgana wrote:

But what if it was a personal friend who you were giving a full tour of the city to? Surely they wouldn't fine you for that!

I can sort of see the point though... I guess they don't want unqualified people giving out false history and information about local landmarks.

I guess that would be an advantage to being so strict - Over in the UK, anyone can say anything, I guess it would depend on how sensitive the Government or whoever is running the country feels about its history?

More
14 years 4 months ago #10781 by necie1286
Over here in the states i think you need to take a class to be a tour guide or something to make sure you know everything you are saying. i don't know for sure becasue i'm not a tour guide and all. i wish i could visit other places to get tours and all.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10793 by scootiebee
When my husband retires, his dream is to move to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, and become a tour guide. They all dress up like it is the 1770's, and talk and act like it is still that time, explaining to tourists what life was like. The whole town is a historic monument. It is amazing, and fun, and you really learn a lot of the early history of the U.S. When we go there and talk with the guides, they invariably ask us which site we work at, because they assume we must work there because our knowledge (especially my husband's, who is a history nut) is very broad. So I can understand wanting to make sure that people who work as guides are giving out the best information possible. But I do take my friends who visit from out of town or overseas on tours of Washington, D.C., confident that what I am telling them is the truth, and that I am not giving out false or misleading information. I love my town!

I can't imagine getting arrested for showing a friend around town and pointing out some of the landmarks and history of the place. Anyone want a tour of Washington, D.C.? Or Baltimore (not quite as exciting, but they have a great aquarium!). Or Gettysburg, PA? Or Harper's Ferry, West Virginia? Or Arlington, Virginia? Maybe Mt. Vernon (George Washington's House)? (all within 45 minutes drive of my house, and all very familiar to me). I promise not to get arrested for it.

But I hadn't realized until I saw that show about Croatia (actually about the New Europe in general) how beautiful a country it is. The seaside towns were beautiful, and the countryside breathtaking.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10802 by black_magnolia
You don't get arrested but they fine you (cc. 100 dollars). I think showing a friend or two wouldn't get me in trouble but when there are a lot of people around a site and if those people hear you talking something about that site, they often come closer and listen in and in an instant you have a group of 10 or more people around you. -> Try then explaining you weren't giving a tour to the group.
It's quite hard taking some sense with those officers and I rather avoid trouble of any kind. Also when I have a license I can also work like a guide and charge for my services. :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds