Show Navigation Menu

Have you ever visited _________?

More
13 years 1 month ago #31911 by Envy
Well. Summer's approaching.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post in here.

What kind of places (countries/areas/wherever) do you all love to go to and what attractions etc. would you recommend?

I really want to travel this summer because it's an extra long holiday for me (universities always start late compared to normal school/college here) plus my parents will pay. :woohoo: Last chance to take advantage of that, haha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #31912 by agjoe
Hands up anyone that has ever visited the wonderful city of Leicester?

Honest it's great ;)

More
13 years 1 month ago #31914 by Envy
agjoe wrote:

Hands up anyone that has ever visited the wonderful city of Leicester?

Honest it's great ;)

:woohoo: Not much of a holiday - I live here!

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #31949 by black_magnolia
:woohoo: A bit after the admin's example: Hands up anyone that has ever visited the wonderful country of Croatia?! :P

Honestly though, you have a ton of sites to explores here. With Croatia's unique geo-political position, the country is full of beautiful natural and also historical sights. From remnants of the Ancient Roman to the Austo-Hungarian Empire, there is something for everyone here. ;)

A bit hard for me to be objective and point something out, because I've seen almost all the big sights here and it's hard to choose the best without being very subjective. :silly:
Here are just two links and if you (or anyone else) are interested I can always give you more information and some insiders tips on special things to see like the mummies of Vodnjan which not many people know about. ;)

www.find-croatia.com/siteinfo/top.ten.sights.html
www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-croatia/

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by black_magnolia.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #31953 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

:woohoo: A bit after the admin's example: Hands up anyone that has ever visited the wonderful country of Croatia?! :P

Honestly though, you have a ton of sites to explores here. With Croatia's unique geo-political position, the country is full of beautiful natural and also historical sights. From remnants of the Ancient Roman to the Austo-Hungarian Empire, there is something for everyone here. ;)

A bit hard for me to be objective and point something out, because I've seen almost all the big sights here and it's hard to choose the best without being very subjective. :silly:
Here are just two links and if you (or anyone else) are interested I can always give you more information and some insiders tips on special things to see like the mummies of Vodnjan which not many people know about. ;)

www.find-croatia.com/siteinfo/top.ten.sights.html
www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-croatia/

:ohmy: Wow. I looked at the top 10 and was taken away. I had no idea there were so many beautiful sights. I'm tempted to look up plane prices now..

I couldn't help but look up 'the mummies of Vodnjan' after you mentioned (I love mummies, I have no idea why) and..They're just incredible. :P I want to see them!

Would language be a barrier, do you think? And are there any pretty places that really only locals would know?

Just curious. A friend of mine is Welsh and he knows the location of all of the empty beaches in Wales. :P
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Envy.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #31975 by black_magnolia
:woohoo:

Here is a good link for flights to Croatia: www.visit-croatia.co.uk/gettingthere/air.htm
I think it's the cheapest to book over the air companies own site, but you'll have to do some price-comparing yourself and generally see which airport would suit you best in regards to which places you want to see if you really plan on visiting Croatia. :)

Language won't be a barrier because Croatia is a tourist orientated country, so a lot of people know at least some English. The older people are naturally worse with English, but therefore they may speak Italian or German instead (Italian is more prominent on the coast-side, German in the continental part of Croatia). I'm sure you won't have any problems with the language barrier.

I'm sure every place has it's 'hidden' beauties that only locals would know, but there are generally so many places to see here, so I fear you wouldn't even have the time to see the main sights let alone the less-known/hidden ones. :P

I'm most familiar with Istra (name of the peninsula where Pula, Vodnjan, Rovinj, Poreč etc. lie) and Zagreb and some of it's surrounding area. I've been to Dalmatia a few times, but not enough to be of big use with hot tips for that part. :silly:

Going from your interest in the Vodnjan mummies, I'd recommend a trip in the North of Croatia would maybe suit you best, ergo something like Istra + Plitvice Lakes + Zagreb. Hard to squeeze in also Dalmatia and it's sights, becasue then I fear it would get too tiring of a trip.

My family works in tourism (including me when I'm home for the summer), therefore I'm also interested in the tourism of my country and thus well informed about things you can see and do here. ;) You'll have to forgive me if I end up sounding like some major advert for my country. :P :silly:

With Venice being fairly near Istra, there is an everyday coach line form Pula to Venice, and during summer there are also boat trips to Venice, so I think it would be a nice opportunity to go there if you are in the area. ;)

Regarding the area around Pula: Vodnjan is just 10 minutes away, then you have the Brijuni Islands National Park (We have a total of 8 national parks, and a lot of other protected places which are worth seeing), then there is Rt Kamenjak where you can find some fossilised dinosaur prints... oh... I could go on like this for hours listings stuff up... :silly:

Here are just some links:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Heritage_Sites_in_Croatia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_of_Croatia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Croatia

I'm glad to help with any travel plans for Croatia, so you are welcome to bomb me with questions as much as you like. B)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by black_magnolia.

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds