Show Navigation Menu

What's your most recent purchase? (Non-Alchemy)

More
12 years 9 months ago #34388 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

And a 'Grow your own shiitake mushroom kit', which looks pretty interesting.

Oh, I'd like to see how that works out! I somehow imagine that kit like those grow-it-yourself cans with seeds inside which you only have to water and after some time a plant should grow out. Tried those cans once - fail. :S :woohoo:

Ooh no, not ours! Our 'kit' is just a beast of a log! It's supposedly been fruited once under controlled conditions before the log is packaged up for sale and can keep on popping out mushrooms until the block just falls to pieces, so we should be able to get something to grow out of it. :woohoo:

The ladies that ran the shop that sold the logs had tried growing one of their own for display - They had grown massive shiitake mushrooms on their log and told us that the log had only been sitting in the shop for under a week - If I remember, I'll stick some before and after pictures up on the gardening thread later on this week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34391 by janelle hell
Envy wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

And a 'Grow your own shiitake mushroom kit', which looks pretty interesting.

Oh, I'd like to see how that works out! I somehow imagine that kit like those grow-it-yourself cans with seeds inside which you only have to water and after some time a plant should grow out. Tried those cans once - fail. :S :woohoo:

Ooh no, not ours! Our 'kit' is just a beast of a log! It's supposedly been fruited once under controlled conditions before the log is packaged up for sale and can keep on popping out mushrooms until the block just falls to pieces, so we should be able to get something to grow out of it. :woohoo:

The ladies that ran the shop that sold the logs had tried growing one of their own for display - They had grown massive shiitake mushrooms on their log and told us that the log had only been sitting in the shop for under a week - If I remember, I'll stick some before and after pictures up on the gardening thread later on this week.

That sounds SO COOL! A log full of shiitake mushrooms! I'll have to ask at the nursery I buy my plants from if that kind of thing would work where I live & if they could order one for me...

More
12 years 9 months ago #34394 by Envy
janelle hell wrote:

That sounds SO COOL! A log full of shiitake mushrooms! I'll have to ask at the nursery I buy my plants from if that kind of thing would work where I live & if they could order one for me...

Oh I'm pretty sure it would work. :) Supposedly they do pretty well in any corner of the house that isn't in direct sunlight. We found some pretty cool vids on YouTube too, of other people and their logs. :woohoo:

I recall one vid had a site where you could buy this kind of 'kit' as well, but I can't seem to find it now..>.<

More
12 years 9 months ago #34398 by janelle hell
:ohmy: That's even better than I imagined it...I'd love to have one of those...didn't even think about growing it indoors! I'll for sure have to somehow obtain one now...

More
12 years 9 months ago #34399 by Madam_Mim
Envy wrote:

janelle hell wrote:

Oh I'm pretty sure it would work. :) Supposedly they do pretty well in any corner of the house that isn't in direct sunlight. We found some pretty cool vids on YouTube too, of other people and their logs. :woohoo:

I recall one vid had a site where you could buy this kind of 'kit' as well, but I can't seem to find it now..>.<

Envy - Where did you purchase your kit in th UK?
I found some places where you can buy the kits, but most are for outdoor use, otherwise they only sell to USA

For USA - www.gmushrooms.com/ and www.fungi.com/kits/indoor.html
For North America and Europe - www.gourmetmushrooms.ca/

More
12 years 9 months ago #34400 by iHauntTheSepulchre
janelle hell wrote:

Ah, I see...lol! I used to have the same problem until I discovered this wonderful (HUGE!) used book store nearby, where I can take the books I've already read and trade them in for...more books :woohoo:

The used book store near my place is really quite pathetic...I've only found two books in there that I like...I have no idea where they dig up some of the stuff they have in there.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds