Show Navigation Menu

How does your gothic garden grow?

More
12 years 9 months ago #34392 by janelle hell

I grew a Moon & Stars watermelon...the outside has \"stars\" instead of the usual stripes & the inside was pink & tasted like a Watermelon Jolly Rancher candy :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34393 by Envy
:ohmy: Oh! *Jealous*!

I wish we had the kind of weather here to grow any type of watermelon. :P The closest we got before was when we left pips on the garden floor by accident one hot summer and they sprouted into little teeny shoots - Before dying off. :(

More
12 years 9 months ago #34397 by janelle hell
Envy wrote:

:ohmy: Oh! *Jealous*!

I wish we had the kind of weather here to grow any type of watermelon. :P The closest we got before was when we left pips on the garden floor by accident one hot summer and they sprouted into little teeny shoots - Before dying off. :(

That's one of the few good things about it being so hot here: watermelons and morning glory flowers LOVE being hellishly hot :silly: I'll bet you can grow things where you are that we can't grow here, for instance, tulips and lilacs need to freeze to grow...

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #34404 by black_magnolia
The problem with watermelons is that they need heat and a lot of water. If I was living somewhere near a river, then I could grow them too, but otherwise they gulp down too much water - it's more efficient to just buy a watermelon at the grocery store.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #34412 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

The problem with watermelons is that they need heat and a lot of water. If I was living somewhere near a river, then I could grow them too, but otherwise they gulp down too much water - it's more efficient to just buy a watermelon at the grocery store.

Ah efficient yes, but home-grown stuff always seems to taste sweeter. :P

And @janelle hell:

'Tis true. We have a whole bunch of tulips all over our front and (what's left of) our back garden..But I'd much prefer having fruit grow well than flowers - Just because I love being able to care for something that returns the favour. :woohoo:

I have fond memories of being a child and growing potatoes/peas in the garden and I found it immensely fun to harvest and eat things I'd grown. In hindsight, I don't know how it managed to entertain me, but oh well! It's just one of those things.

If I could grow any fruit here..It would probably be rainier cherries. I get insane cravings for those and I can only get my hands on them whenever I head on over to the US..:(
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Envy.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34499 by Serpenvicis
I (my mum) have garden around my house, guite big for this area. We grow all kinds of vegetables and fruits : spinach, lettuce, kale, cabbage, parsley, zucchini,cucumbers, green beans, peas, pomegranate, olives, tangerines, lemons, oranges, strawberries, peppers, pepperoni and so on :woohoo: And a lot of flowers. My mum adores to work in garden. So. we mostly eat vegetables from our garden, and they are way more tasteful then ones from shops. :silly:

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds