Show Navigation Menu

How does your gothic garden grow?

More
13 years 6 months ago #26681 by Envy
Morgana wrote:

I wouldn't plant them in a pot outside though. Being in the ground gives the bulbs some insulation over the winter, but they'd likely get too cold and freeze in a pot. Not sure if they'd survive in a pot inside or not...

As far as taking plants to university... once you know where you're going, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask if you're allowed.

Hmm..Okay. I shall re-think the pot idea. :) It's just awkward finding any space for anything right now, because of the state of our back garden. Never thought about the ground as insulation before..But I did think that keeping them in a pot would make it easier to carry along with me to university..

*Shrug* Could plant some outside and some indoors in a pot I guess. :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #32804 by Morgana
I bought some seeds for my deck planters the other day... sweet peas, morning glories, and moon flowers. They're soaking in damp paper towel right now, and I'm going to go and plant them in a few minutes.

I'll have to leave the planters in the basement for a while though. It's still a bit too cold to put them out on the deck, and if I leave them in the garage, the squirrels will probably just dig up the seeds for a snack! Hopefully I'll get a few flowers out of them though.

More
12 years 10 months ago #34223 by janelle hell

My Japanese morning glories bloomed for the first time last week :kiss:

Lots of veggies this year...black tomatoes (the ones in the middle & on the right aren't ripe yet) & stripey zucchini.

More
12 years 10 months ago #34224 by Envy
Ahh pretty! I didn't even think about veg. :silly: I always automatically thought of flowers in the garden with this thread.

Seeing as our garden's all dug up at the moment, we've been growing veg in the greenhouse and in large trays outside (the trays were meant for under-bed storage but we planted things in them instead - Can get them for a good price too from Ikea. :P) - We had some good successes and grew massive courgettes/peas, that is until the neighbour's cat saw the trays as one massive litter tray.

Parents can't stand that cat. :woohoo: Aha. There's one cat which will freely leave its doings in plain sight in the most horrible places (e.g. middle of path, middle of vegetable tray), and this new kitten we've noticed, that will dig everything up and kindly bury his leavings. Hm. Neither are desirable.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34231 by janelle hell
My garden is mainly veggies now, as I can't grow alot of the flowers here in AZ that I used to grow in CA (black roses = sun-absorbers. sun absorbers in AZ sun = crispy roses :( ) but I should also have some moonflowers soon. Moonflowers & morning glories LOVE the heat!

I use those storage containers for planting stuff too! No outdoor kitties nearby, so the plants are safe. Have you tried spraying the plants they go after with vinegar? You have to do it every other day or so, but it's a good way to keep kitties away from one's plants without harming them.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34233 by Envy
janelle hell wrote:

My garden is mainly veggies now, as I can't grow alot of the flowers here in AZ that I used to grow in CA (black roses = sun-absorbers. sun absorbers in AZ sun = crispy roses :( ) but I should also have some moonflowers soon. Moonflowers & morning glories LOVE the heat!

I use those storage containers for planting stuff too! No outdoor kitties nearby, so the plants are safe. Have you tried spraying the plants they go after with vinegar? You have to do it every other day or so, but it's a good way to keep kitties away from one's plants without harming them.

Ooh vinegar, I haven't heard that one before! I'll definately give it a go - Although, would the plants absorb the vinegar and end up tasting like it?

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds