Show Navigation Menu

How does your gothic garden grow?

More
13 years 10 months ago #22832 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Yes they are edible to humans! The skin and flesh are a little bitter, but the juice is quite sweet.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #22834 by Envy
iHauntTheSepulchre wrote:

Yes they are edible to humans! The skin and flesh are a little bitter, but the juice is quite sweet.

Wow, I might consider getting a small plant then. :P The berries are very pretty, although it may be hard for me to get hold of one..I used to have all sorts of trees in my old house's garden with edible fruits..

We had an apple, plum, pear, peach and citrus fruit tree (Hard to explain that one. We bought it from the Eden Project and the top half produced lemons whilst the bottom half produced small tangerine type fruits. I think it's called branch grafting or something like that anyway). We also had tons of strawberries..

These days, we only have olive, pear, citrus and peach trees, though I think there's some wild strawberries/raspberries and gooseberries in the garden too. The pear tree was here when we moved into this house and is absolutely huge. We end up with tons of wasps though, seeing as they enjoy the pears when they fall to the floor. Despite that, it's nice around Autumn time, as we usually have mass pear-picking days and deliver a bag of pears to each of our neighbours. The guy who lived here before he died of old age used to do the same, so we felt it was only right to carry on the tradition.

That and we can't eat all of the pears anyway. Too many!
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22835 by Malkie
Hello world

If i could do the garden thing i might consider it, but i do have a happy cactus :D i'm in a boarding house at the moment so the back garden isn't mine to mess with.

But my cactus is happy which is all that counts, he doesn't need much looking after haha.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22883 by scootiebee
I used to have so many house plants, but I just get lazy walking around with a watering can. I forget to water them, or the cat kills them. Too much bother. My 10-year-old dracena just croaked, so I am looking for a new house plant. I figure I should be able to keep one plant alive at least.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22892 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Envy wrote:

iHauntTheSepulchre wrote:

Wow, I might consider getting a small plant then. :P The berries are very pretty, although it may be hard for me to get hold of one..I used to have all sorts of trees in my old house's garden with edible fruits..

The only thing you need to note about the lillipilli is that the seeds are poisonous so you need to be careful when you bite into one, after the first bite, you just throw away the seed. Small bushes are great, we have a large tree but my grandmother has a lillipilli hedge, constant pruning and shaping keeps it quite manageable and does not affect the quality (or size) of the fruits.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 10 months ago #22900 by black_magnolia
scootiebee wrote:

I used to have so many house plants, but I just get lazy walking around with a watering can. I forget to water them, or the cat kills them. Too much bother. My 10-year-old dracena just croaked, so I am looking for a new house plant. I figure I should be able to keep one plant alive at least.

I know. I have the same problem. I can only keep orchids alive. :silly: I was in such a rush to get to my bus that I didn't take the one orchid I have in Zagreb with me and unfortunately I don't think it will survive until I return. :(

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.366 seconds