Show Navigation Menu

How does your gothic garden grow?

More
14 years 2 months ago #16439 by Morgana
We have a few bats in our yard as well. I'd like to build a bat-house to encourage them, because I know they eat bugs, but my husband thinks I'm nuts.

My mom has had a few get into her house over the years. Most times she was able to capture them and put them out, or else they just flew out on their own eventually. I haven't had any inside yet, but I think I would be worried about rabies, etc., if I got bitten by one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #16485 by scootiebee
I have seen bat houses for sale at garden shops and online. They are basically a flat wooden box that you attach to the wall of the house or to a tree. I would love to get a few, and keep the bats around. It really does help with bugs in the summer. better to have bats than to spray poison around to keep the bugs away!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 1 month ago #16493 by iHauntTheSepulchre
We have fruit bats over here and they're massive! If one managed to get into the house...not good. Though I don't think the bats here in Australia have rabies...I could be mistaken.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
14 years 1 month ago #16508 by Envy
Aww..We don't really get bats around here though. The time we had one in our classroom was the first time I saw one in real life in my home city in the wild. I've only ever seen one other in this area and it was in the local park, fluttering around a lamp post late at night.

There were always bats flying around in Hong Kong at nights though, and in Torquay (South-England)..Hehe. It's quite soothing just to watch them at night.

More
14 years 1 month ago #16550 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Indeed it is!

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
14 years 1 month ago #16610 by scootiebee
I usually do sit outside in the garden at night, because I hate being out in the sun. So that's when I really enjoy it the most, and I do miss the bats, having been inside hiding from the freezing weather. I will have to get outside soon, but the rain has been constant the last 2 days, and on top of the snow melt, has turned my garden into a mud puddle.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds