Show Navigation Menu

childhood memories...

More
13 years 5 months ago #28667 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: childhood memories...
black_magnolia wrote:

I somehow always disliked Spongebob Squarepants... :S

YES! Someone who shares my dislike of that damned creepy sponge! :side:

I used to love the Boomerang channel..Had tons of good cartoons.

My mother's showed me some cartoons from when she was young (all Japanese/Canto cartoons though). Brought back tons of memories for her when we went to Richmond in Canada - Because there was tons of merch for the cartoons she used to watch.

I might've mentioned before, but she showed me some episodes on YouTube and told me they were all banned episodes because they showed a character being pervy or taught bad manners, haha. (Japanese writer, what do you expect?)

:woohoo: I'll try and find a link. I reckon it's pretty easy to get the gist of the cartoon without actually understanding the language. I've probably already posted this before actually. I can't remember. The only part someone wouldn't understand would probably be the aliens who are stuck on Earth and need a way home. <-- But now you would understand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #28715 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: childhood memories...
black_magnolia... since I'm almost 37, I think I'm probably one of the oldest ones here, and qualified to reply! We only had 2 TV channels when I was a kid, so there wasn't a lot of choice. I used to watch whatever cartoons were on though... Bugs Bunny, Flintstones, Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck are a few that come to mind. I don't really watch many of the newer ones, so I can't fairly comment on most of them. I don't mind Spongebob, and there was one on called Cow and Chicken that was pretty funny at times. Not sure if it's on anymore or not though... same with Ripping Friends, which reminds me a lot of Ren and Stimpy. Most of the \"cartoons\" that I watch now aren't kids shows, but animated comedies... Simpsons, Futurama, American Dad, etc.

Kuroboshi, I've noticed that they cut out a lot of the violence from the old cartoons, although quite a few of the double-entendres seem to have survived. Instead of seeing a character get shot, blown up, squashed by an anvil, etc., they'll cut the scene out where it actually happens, and, maybe, just show the aftermath. I also read somewhere that a lot of the older ones were edited to remove any scenes of characters smoking.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Morgana.

More
13 years 4 months ago #28763 by nwbevk
Replied by nwbevk on topic Re: childhood memories...
Last time I caught loony toons on tv they edited Alot of stuff. They won't show characters turning into a black character after being sprayed with ink, Bugs Bunny can't take the bottle of sleeping pills to join Elmer in dreamland. Can't remember any of the other ones off hand,but was annoying to watch when you know that they're being cut up. \"hey, where'd that scene go?\"

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #28766 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: childhood memories...
Morgana wrote:

Kuroboshi, I've noticed that they cut out a lot of the violence from the old cartoons, although quite a few of the double-entendres seem to have survived. Instead of seeing a character get shot, blown up, squashed by an anvil, etc., they'll cut the scene out where it actually happens, and, maybe, just show the aftermath. I also read somewhere that a lot of the older ones were edited to remove any scenes of characters smoking.

I hope that isn't occuring here.

Tom and Jerry, which my father got me into watching when I was younger, was one of my favourites. If the violence was taken out of that...Well it just wouldn't be worth watching.

Same goes for the ones with Wile. E. Coyote and Road Runner.

Haven't seen them in a while though. Unfortunately. Although, like you I mostly like Animated comedies like you mentioned. Best part is that I got my father into watching both Family Guy and American Dad so I don't need to worry about him turning it over when I'm watching it. :laugh:

EDIT: I have to mention that one of my favourite scene of American Dad (I believe it was that) was when they did a parody of Looney Tunes where Elmer Fudd kills Bugs Bunny.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Kuroboshi.

More
13 years 4 months ago #28809 by necie1286
Replied by necie1286 on topic Re: childhood memories...
OMG if they took all the fights and stuff out of all the old cartoons they would suck big time. that was one of the big reasons i loved them so much was always seeing Daffy get shot and his beak be on the back of his head ot other things happen in all of them.

More
13 years 4 months ago #28929 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: childhood memories...
Kuroboshi wrote:

Morgana wrote:

I hope that isn't occuring here.

Tom and Jerry, which my father got me into watching when I was younger, was one of my favourites. If the violence was taken out of that...Well it just wouldn't be worth watching.

Same goes for the ones with Wile. E. Coyote and Road Runner.

Haven't seen them in a while though. Unfortunately. Although, like you I mostly like Animated comedies like you mentioned. Best part is that I got my father into watching both Family Guy and American Dad so I don't need to worry about him turning it over when I'm watching it. :laugh:

EDIT: I have to mention that one of my favourite scene of American Dad (I believe it was that) was when they did a parody of Looney Tunes where Elmer Fudd kills Bugs Bunny.

Actually, I think it was Tom and Jerry that some parent complained about, and that's what started the TV studios cutting out scenes of smoking... can't for the life of me find out where I read that though. And the parent who complained had likely grown up watching those same shows, but suddenly decided it was morally corrupting their own little darlings! Some people have too much time on their hands...

And I remember that Loony Tunes parody as well, although I thought it was Family Guy... could easily have been American Dad too though.

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds