Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

ancient creatures- reality or myth?

More
14 years 8 months ago #849 by CorpseQueen
Some may exist, but I do think at least most in my local mytology is myth. A girl with long hair to cover her back, which is hollow to her stummach? Doesn't really sound like something you find out in the forest. But something more like a unichorn? I'm doubtful, but there may be some left in the world in hidden places we may never find... well, if you're a believer, pray we'll never find them... if a human do, at least a scientist, they'll be available in the nearest Zoo in no time...

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #852 by Veszdrin
i agree. sometimes certain things are best kept hidden from humanity.

Those are the words of someone who does not know true despair....If you do not know it, I will teach it to you...

More
14 years 8 months ago #855 by Delequen
I'm a firm believer in the once existence of the creatures, or possible current existence. I agree that it makes sense for the myths and tales to have had to come from somewhere. We didn't live in those times, so how can we say what did and didn't exist? On terms of the chemistry of the animals? I asked my chem teacher 2 years ago what could cause fire if it was mixed with oxygen. The answer was hydrogen. Is it impossible for a creature to have a hydrogen-like substance withheld in a gland somewhere in its body? Not impossible.

More
14 years 8 months ago #860 by Highwayman
Yeah it is we found dinosaurs there real but as for the rest i think best kept in our minds

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

More
13 years 5 months ago #26754 by King Pete
Veszdrin wrote:

i believe that the creatures we call \"mythical\" once existed. almost every legend or myth has had to come from something that was real. otherwise, where would the legends and myths themselves have come from? i dont' believe that a myth or legend can just spring up out of nowhere. it's just a matter of having enough of an open mind to believe that such things exist or used to exist. people nowadays don't have that kind of mentality anymore.

i agree totally, if something was based on fiction, then there would be vast differences within different cultures. however, you can get a chinese person, an english person and an indian person for example, and ask each of them what a dragon is, and they will all come up with pretty much the same thing

More
13 years 5 months ago #26769 by Envy
Hmm..It depends. I believe creatures all existed in *some* form, but have been changed through misinterpretations/exaggerations into what we know today as a 'mythical creature'.

Examples..The cyclops. One theory is that people used to once-in-a-while find elephant skulls, which had one huge hole where their trunk is. Not knowing that this came from an elephant, the 'cyclops' was born as the hole was presumed to be an eye-socket like in a human skull.

Hmm..Another..The Kraken - Possibly a giant/colossal squid. I've seen many documentaries on giant/colossal squid..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Squid <-- There's an image on Wiki. showing the colossal squid partway down the page. Lots of things deep in the ocean haven't been discovered yet (as someone mentioned earlier, things people thought were long extinct have managed to pop up, e.g. coelacanth)..So..I wouldn't doubt that an even bigger colossal squid or species of squid is lurking down there somewhere and is the origin of the 'Kraken'.

Uhhm..Mermaids. One theory is that they were manatees but misinterpreted to be beautiful women. Conditions out at sea 'back in the day' weren't brilliant, seafaring men often had many ailments and were away from home for a long time, wouldn't be surprised that they saw something else in those manatees!

Last one that comes to mind..Horned demons/animals..Well..I can think of an explanation. You can get horned people through strange growths, so I wouldn't be surprised that horned horses may have existed. Maybe not en mass, but over all these years, a few are sure to have popped up..There's a horned woman in the news somewhere..Let me see..

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/artic...ows-devil-horns.html

There we go.

In conclusion - Ancient creatures = Combination of reality + myth! In my opinion anyway. =3

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds