Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

myth and mythology

More
14 years 8 months ago #868 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:myth and mythology
Though the internet can be faster, a good book can become like a good friend if you spend enough time with it. It seems I'm constantly looking up some obscure mythological factoid for one reason or another(especially since a friend of mine started taking a class on myth last year) and I usually have the reference right at my fingertips. I know which section in which book has the answer I'm looking for.

Now ask me to find a website I stumbled across a second time and I'm in trouble . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #879 by Eskelde09
Replied by Eskelde09 on topic Re:myth and mythology
It's shocking how completely old theology's died out, isn't it?

I'm actually planning on making that my career; I want ot teach ancient religions, mythology, comparative theology, something like that.:cheer:

I have a theory about it, too.
since every great civilization has been conquered at least once, most conquerors (except the Romans) tried to enforce their own religion on the natives. Like when the Europeans colonized America by sending missionaries over to convert the natives to Catholocism.

History is written by the victors.
Which is lame, because the victors almost always concentrate more on war than the losers. Therefore, they concentrate less on mythology and the arts. It's a sad cycle.:(

 cantates, avito

More
14 years 8 months ago #882 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:myth and mythology
A human cycle, natures cycle - eat or get eaten. Guess that stand for more then just war...
It's sad, as I love fact and mostly history, but how can we believe in anything? How can we know it's just not what the winners wanted us to believe? Like that emperor in old China, who descided that there should be no proof that there had been a time before him, and therefor erased anything that's been written before his rule. How much didn't humanity lose just there?

What I still believe in, is the quote \"The first thing lost in war is truth.\" Maybe not 100% true, but gives a very good look into how things really work...

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 8 months ago #965 by Slayer002
Replied by Slayer002 on topic Re:myth and mythology
i don't completely agree with that quote. the first thing lost in war is perspective, the ability to see things from a diffrent point.

but back on topic:
i like reading about myth a lot and since i have latin and greek on school i come across a lot of myths.
but aside the old religions and myths i also like fictional myhs and legends, the history in lord of the rings or in any book is fascinating to me. i love to see a good fantasy world with its own history and myths

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds