Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

what is goth?

More
14 years 3 months ago #13800 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:what is goth?
Thank you for bringing the real history of Goth back to the surface. I like to be reminded that you don't have to be a mall rat dressed in black who likes old Cure songs to be goth! :)

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13810 by Bpagemom
Replied by Bpagemom on topic Re:what is goth?
Knumpcy has a true grasp on what the real Gothic culture was and is. This is true, Hottopic is NOT the go-to place for all your Gothic needs. It's like saying to go to the play kitchen toy isle when you want to buy food. It's just not the same thing. Goth is not a frame of mind or a ruffled skirt. It's an entire subculture that's been around for many, many years. It's beautiful architecture, elegant clothing and stunning pale faces, and I don't mean clown white make-up.

So, if you are looking for what the true Gothic style is? Pay attention to what those sites say. If that's not enough, look up one of the elder Goths. Someone that's been in the culture for more than 15 years, has stuck with it and doesn't use it for show or just a phase.

"You have no power over me"

More
14 years 3 months ago #13939 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:what is goth?
So we should seek cousel from the elder? Sounds like a good thing. Too bad I don't know any, or where to find them. But I still don't really consider myself a goth, as anything (but black) that's goth never stuck with me. Yes, it's nice, but not what I love. Still don't mind being called goth - I still look like one, that's true. But at heart, I'm a nerd... and proud of it! :blush:

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 3 months ago #13945 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:what is goth?
Who says you can't be a nerdy goth my dear? I consider myself one . . . :laugh:

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #13952 by knumpcy
Replied by knumpcy on topic Re:what is goth?
I did forget one thing about what I have heard from time to time about the Elitist Goth that haunt the scene or everyday what nots, but it is usually @ the club where most of it happens,well in Nashville it does..Which alot of Elitists are posers anyway.

I suppose I am considered one because of how I am(appearance,demeanor and such) though I am not the typical, granted I would hope that during club night people would dress in their finery and all would be grand. I also know that funds and other issues my hinder this as well, and not all thinks as other do as well(we are all different) I just dress in the late 1700 & early 1800's. Though I do not have the chance to socialize with everyone while there or may not be enclined to do so by way of intrusion. If anyone would come up to me you would really see a different picture, I love to converse with everyone who does and unless you have really dishonored me or another there with unjust reason you would not be favored and always ignored

It isn't for minor drama of the sort, but abusive behavior towards a fellow Goth....or Visitor, or the lovely tourist...though I do not enjoy when outsiders venture in just seeing if the can score a hot Goth chic...that will always end badly...sad to say.

Anyway I hope everyone has a Grand weekend...!

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by knumpcy.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13960 by Bpagemom
Replied by Bpagemom on topic Re:what is goth?
Ok... the thing is this...

What most people don't realize is that Goth isn't like ANY other genre, style or subculture. When you refer to punk, skin head, hi hop, etc., you pretty much know what to expect. That's the thing with the goth culture. There's so many facets and layers to it, you really can't pinpoint it unless you write an entire book on it. ... Right Knumpcy? ;)

Anyways, to actually try to paraphrase what goth is in a few meager paragraphs is preposterous. ...as you can well see by the numerous replies and the variety in responses. To some, it's wearing their daily black clothes, burning some candles, listening to Cruxshadows and scaring children and bible thumpers on the street by looking like they're dead. To others, it's a barbarian hoard they idealize from ages ago. To others still, it's a way of decorating or designing buildings and an art. And then there's some of us that see it in it's most complex... and entire way of life that's been built on over centuries that combines architecture, clothing, music, art, decoration, a way of thinking, a sense of humor and an entire persona type.

So... what is goth? That entirely depends on who you ask. However, watch who you ask. Because everyone in the culture has a strong opinion, and they'll stand by it. It's not a culture made up of wishy-washy little children playing dress-up. It's the misfits that have been beaten down for the way they think, and this way of being is theirs, and theirs alone. No one can take it from them. That's the one thing we all have in common. It is us and ours, and no one can make us change that part of ourselves. ...So there :P :laugh:

"You have no power over me"

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds