Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Grimoires

More
13 years 11 months ago #19540 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Grimoires
I have one. Originally I read that you should put in your beliefs, religiously, spiritually, and your thoughts on deity. Then you should note what symbols, practices, and rituals you prefer, believe in, and use. Next is your own 'do-dad' involving spells, trade secrets, tools, and experiences, almost like a journal. Finally, you make the second part of your grimoire, the Book of Shadows. That's just what I've always done. The Grimoire to me has mostly been a journal. I stated all of the previous things and then I make journal entries throughout the rest of dreams, practices, new things I learn, ect.

Meaning comes from within.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19584 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Replied by iHauntTheSepulchre on topic Re:Grimoires
Now that's interesting.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 11 months ago #19608 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Grimoires
*facepalm*

To put it simple:
A grimoire is a textbook of magic.
A book of shadows is a journal of your magical undertakings.

You don't write a grimoire like a journal and generally you don't write it at all by yourself (exception if you are going to publish it). Someone's book of shadows is a grimoire to you if you use it to gain knowledge from it.
Example: \"Candle Magic for Beginners\" by Richard Webster is a grimoire, \"Witchcraft\" by Ly de Angeles is a grimoire, any book with instructions on how to create magical objects, how to perform spells, charms, invoke spirits or any other aspect of witchcraft is a grimoire.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19634 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Grimoires
Eh, I exceed the boundaries of what is expected of me. Mine is still a journal to me. Others may learn from it if they wish once I am done deciphering what it all means. As for my BOS, I snagged it from a book store. Laziness is a quality heavy on me, unfortunately.

Meaning comes from within.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19646 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Replied by iHauntTheSepulchre on topic Re:Grimoires
black_magnolia wrote:

*facepalm*

To put it simple:

You don't write a grimoire like a journal and generally you don't write it at all by yourself (exception if you are going to publish it). Someone's book of shadows is a grimoire to you if you use it to gain knowledge from it.
Example: \"Candle Magic for Beginners\" by Richard Webster is a grimoire, \"Witchcraft\" by Ly de Angeles is a grimoire, any book with instructions on how to create magical objects, how to perform spells, charms, invoke spirits or any other aspect of witchcraft is a grimoire.

That makes sense too. I guess then my 'book of shadows' is more of a grimoire then.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #19669 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Grimoires
iHauntTheSepulchre wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

*facepalm*

To put it simple:

That makes sense too. I guess then my 'book of shadows' is more of a grimoire then.

There are a lot of books on the market that have such names as \"Book of Shadows for the Solitary Witch\" or \"The Ultimate Book of Shadows\" etc., but it's just a case where publishers or authors want to sell more copies as a lot of people don't know the difference and 'BOS' by itself is a ear-catcher that buys customers.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by black_magnolia.

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds