Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Grimoires

More
13 years 10 months ago #19689 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Grimoires
I have a question. I've been looking at Cunningham's Book of Shadows (that's the title) and I wonder if anyone has read through it. If so, is it any good? I really enjoy Cunningham's way of teaching and his encyclopedias but I haven't gotten into any of his spellwork.

Meaning comes from within.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #19716 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Replied by iHauntTheSepulchre on topic Re:Grimoires
Heard of him, haven't read any of his work though.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 10 months ago #19951 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Grimoires
Skie, I have \"A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner\" by Scott Cunningham, and it contains a section called \"The Standing Stones Book of Shadows\". Is this what you're referring to, or something else entirely?

I like this book, as it doesn't take a really preachy tone. He lists a lot of common tools, folklore, practices, etc., but there's nothing like \"10 Steps to be a REAL Wiccan\", or anything really structured. I haven't tried any of the spells since I don't really do spellwork as such, but there are quite a few in the book, and they're interesting to read.

Hope that helps a bit!

More
13 years 10 months ago #20764 by Hagazussa
Replied by Hagazussa on topic Re:Grimoires

I wonder what can you put into a grimoire? Laws of Magic and Alchemy, Symbols, Herbs for doing medecine or insence, colors of candles, Circles? Yeah, Circles, but what type? There's planty of circle that you can do but which one is the best?

You can put any kind of information you feel is valuable for your craft in a grimoire. All from spells to correspondences of herb recepies to what weather you have the most success with what kind of magick. There is no rules as to what can go and not go in a grimoire. Think of it as your magickal cook book, it can have everything you need handy, everything which represents you and the type of magick that you do.

To put it simple:
A grimoire is a textbook of magic.
A book of shadows is a journal of your magical undertakings.

I disagree. The Book of Shadows is a modern, Wiccan name for grimoire, it is the same type of book. The only difference being that that Wicca is a religion so a Book of Shadows often have religious elements, it is a personal holy book in addition to being a spellbook and a textbook on magick. A grimoire often do not have that religions element. A book where you record your magickal undertakings are by Wiccans, and those inspired by them called a Book of Mirrors, and by others just your magickal journal or magickal work book.

You don't write a grimoire like a journal and generally you don't write it at all by yourself (exception if you are going to publish it). Someone's book of shadows is a grimoire to you if you use it to gain knowledge from it.

Again I disagree. While using rituals right from others books can be useful and convenient. And I certainly do that at times, writing your own grimoire, with your own rituals is something every occultist with even a hint of creativity should do. Sure repeating the forms of others is useful now and again but nothing beats making your own rituals.

I have a question. I've been looking at Cunningham's Book of Shadows (that's the title) and I wonder if anyone has read through it. If so, is it any good? I really enjoy Cunningham's way of teaching and his encyclopedias but I haven't gotten into any of his spellwork.

Yes I have read it. It was the books I started with when learning about Wicca. I am eclectic I work with many different paths. The Standing Stones Book of Shadows is excellent. However nothing beats making the rituals and celebrations for yourself so you get something which represents you. No store bought book can give you that. But if you wish to do rituals straight from the book then yes, the Cunningham systems is very good.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #21941 by Nect
Replied by Nect on topic Re:Grimoires
SkieShauphen wrote:

I have one. Originally I read that you should put in your beliefs, religiously, spiritually, and your thoughts on deity. Then you should note what symbols, practices, and rituals you prefer, believe in, and use. Next is your own 'do-dad' involving spells, trade secrets, tools, and experiences, almost like a journal. Finally, you make the second part of your grimoire, the Book of Shadows. That's just what I've always done. The Grimoire to me has mostly been a journal. I stated all of the previous things and then I make journal entries throughout the rest of dreams, practices, new things I learn, ect.

Nice point. I agree with you. I myself have several.
Mostly a Grimoire is like a source to be consulted when you want to refresh your memory of stuff you should already know, or that you want to just be more certain about.
A Book Of Shadows is more like a collection of your own personal, non-public, rituals that sits on your altar to be used when practicing your Craft.
While you can add information that you learn and receive to your Grimoire in order to make it more complete, your Book Of Shadows has a more practical knowledge of your Grimoire.

"The truth is, laughter always sounds more perfect than weeping. Laughter flows in a violent riff and is effortlessly melodic. Weeping is often fought, choked, half strangled, or surrendered to with humiliation.” - Anne Rice
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Nect.

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds