All things Gothic.

Steampunk

More
13 years 9 months ago #22901 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Steampunk
scootiebee wrote:

Envy, you could try something like this:

www.bewild.com/mibubeb.html

Or go down to a local model/hobby shop that sells miniatures for recreating war scenes and the like. Also, a sewing shop will have rivet setters, metal buckles, etc., not to mention awesome buttons.\\

For the umpteenth time, I really have to start sewing again...

Thanks for that. ^.^ Going down to a model/hobby shop sounds like a good idea, although models are most likely to be made of plastic pieces, so the whole metal-bullet thing still baffles me. Those bullets on that hat above look like they're made of metal anyway, but maybe they're just well-painted plastic. :P

Annoyingly, we used to have a hobby shop down the road, but it's since been replaced with 'Bargain Booze'. :angry: I'll have to go into town to find a shop like that now.

Oh, and - Does anyone know where you can get hold of cheap, brass-coloured watch cogs? I've tried looking on eBay but those lots go incredibly high! :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22905 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Steampunk
Envy wrote:

Oh, and - Does anyone know where you can get hold of cheap, brass-coloured watch cogs? I've tried looking on eBay but those lots go incredibly high! :(

Maybe it's worth a try to go to a watchmaker and ask him where you could buy them? or maybe in a regular hardwear shop?

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22908 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Steampunk
Envy wrote:

Those bullets on that hat above look like they're made of metal anyway, but maybe they're just well-painted plastic. :P

They could be plastic, and painted with metallic model paint. My husband builds model airplanes, and he has quite a range of different coloured paints, and some are metallic.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22917 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Steampunk
I once thought about buying some watch cogs for projects, and googled watch parts, and there are a lot of suppliers online who sell cogs, watch parts, and other similar things. I never actually bought any, so I can't recommend a company, but if you have a local watchmaker, you could ask them. Any unusually shaped brass objects could be used, though, and for that, once again, a hobby or craft shop will be your best bet. Check out the jewelry making section or bead section of a craft shop, and you should find a lot of interesting shapes to work with.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22929 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Steampunk
Thanks for the input everyone!

Getting parts to create steampunk-themed items reminds me of scrapbooking - You have to search all over for little things. :S Should be fun when I finally gather enough interesting parts though.

Wish me luck in my quest. :woohoo:

More
13 years 9 months ago #22954 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Steampunk
Good luck! Be sure to post pictures of your creations.

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds