Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Steampunk

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #22398 by knumpcy
Replied by knumpcy on topic Steampunk
My roommate has stated that Steam Punk is the new Goth, and I enjoy the direction it is going as well. What is your take on the evolution of a positive growing trend?

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by knumpcy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22402 by Malkie
Replied by Malkie on topic Re:Steampunk
Hello world

I don't think its the new goth per say, i think its a delightful alternate flare of its own. I've heard people say its the grown up version of goth and as you stated the new verson.

Is something wrong with the old one? And am i not an adult dressed in black with a bit stupid stereotypical sophistigoth romantic view? I merely poke fun at myself. If we can't laugh at our selves??

I DO NOT mean this as a bad point :D its discussion :D I like to think we can talk about different aspects of an alternate greater whole.

But steampunk is kinda newish in sydney and australia, its comming out as it were, but in sydney i can say :D since i help run a steampunk club that the numbers of actual FULL ON steamers isn't high.

I even count myself in part for my victorian look, which is a sigh factor i'm merely me I doesn't do labels. Once again i'm a stereotype..

More
13 years 10 months ago #22408 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Steampunk
knumpcy wrote:

My roommate has stated that Steam Punk is the new Goth, and I enjoy the direction it is going as well. What is your take on the evolution of a positive growing trend?

I don't agree that it's the new goth, and surely not Goth with a capital G.
I see it just like another subgroup of the gothic subculture. Like we were discussing it in the old topic (I naturally already merged both), I see it as basically cyberpunk with another colour scheme, I don't say they are identical just with other colours. Steampunk does have a bit more elegance to it then cyberpunk, but saying it's the new goth is veary far fetched in my eyes.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22416 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Steampunk
black_magnolia wrote:

I don't agree that it's the new goth, and surely not Goth with a capital G.
I see it just like another subgroup of the gothic subculture. Like we were discussing it in the old topic (I naturally already merged both), I see it as basically cyberpunk with another colour scheme, I don't say they are identical just with other colours. Steampunk does have a bit more elegance to it then cyberpunk, but saying it's the new goth is veary far fetched in my eyes.

Agreed. To state that Steampunk is 'the new goth' is too bold a statement really. Maybe it appears new and exciting to someone who's recently discovered it? I know far too many people who don't actually know what 'Steampunk' is, so I can't really say it's well-known/popular/'the new goth'. Not here, anyway. Maybe in time, it will become a bit more dominant, but for now, it will remain a 'subgroup' in my mind.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22417 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:Steampunk
It'll always be a subgroup.

I can't see it getting too popular, mainly with the price of some steampunk clothing and items and since the whole gothic culture is made up of many subcultures, I can't see steampunk getting known enough to actually break off and become it's own thing.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22426 by Poledra1a
Replied by Poledra1a on topic Re:Steampunk
I like the whole Steampunk look - but I agree with Kuroboshi in regards to the cost of Steampunk pieces. It'd be a very pricey undertaking to get more than just a few pieces and I dont think its popular enough as yet to make it a competitive marketplace.

I'm used to buying most of my clothing online but its a pain to buy things from the UK - which is where a high percent of Steampunk and Goth (that I've seen/ drooled over) is from. Postage costs are high and it takes about a month to get here. US is only slightly better to buy things from.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Time to create page: 0.303 seconds