Show Navigation Menu
Introduce yourself to the community here.

Forests, Mountains and Monsters

More
14 years 4 months ago #10109 by SkieShauphen
Ahh, a fellow Teutonic on AG. Welcome and I see you seem to already have found yourself at home.

Meaning comes from within.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10128 by EternusAtrumDiligo
To All

Thanks each of you for your greetings. So far I have enjoyed my time thoroughly. I particularly relish reading through the myriad of intriguing discussions all of which seem to regard something I share an affinity with (oddly enough). I feel very comfortable and accepted which is something I am very appreciative for.

To Envy

My you sound like quite the accomplished composer! (judging by your influences I imagine your music is highly elegant?) I like the way you compose, a compilation of free thoughts with theory to create the finished product :). Tis essentially what I do (or did before today... :() myself and fellow band members would develop a chord progression or melody that we liked and simply add more instruments and different sections, then finally go over it with some theory if necessary (mainly for the keyboard section, most classical part)... I’ve never really however delved to deeply into the abyss of musical theory, primarily because I'm not too fond of restricting something as free and whimsical as music to designated 'instructions' (I feel there are already enough things in this world telling us what and how to do something without also being told how to create music) but admittedly what I have learnt has proven rather useful :p. Bach chorales! I’m utterly envious of you. I wish you all the luck with the remainder of your course (not that you probably need it).

To Cemwerewolf

Excellent! I hope you achieve the collection you both desire. A friend of mine has her bedroom walls covered in all different types of swords. (she should hopefully be joining AG soon and you'll be able to ask her all about her 'armoury' then)

To Skieshauphen

Very good, where within the Deutschland does your lineage hail from?

One cannot know life without knowning death, for all those same that live, die.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10153 by SkieShauphen
That's a good question. I'm not entirely sure, but I do have family in Jugenheim. It's a tiny town near Darmstadt, Frankfurt, and Manheim. But my lineage runs far and wide through Europe as most anyone's would. Being a second generation German makes me fairly odd in America. I'm the first of my family to be born in America, so it's an odd step. I think back and realize that every member on my mother's side has lived in Europe and I am the first of thousands to be a citizen here in the States. Ahhh, but I want to go back.
I also have a slight influence from my Irish/Scottish and Welsh background. It's all in my features. I don't look American in the slightest. 90% European. And proud.

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10165 by Envy
EternusAtrumDiligo wrote:

My you sound like quite the accomplished composer! (judging by your influences I imagine your music is highly elegant?) I like the way you compose, a compilation of free thoughts with theory to create the finished product :). Tis essentially what I do (or did before today... :() myself and fellow band members would develop a chord progression or melody that we liked and simply add more instruments and different sections, then finally go over it with some theory if necessary (mainly for the keyboard section, most classical part)... I’ve never really however delved to deeply into the abyss of musical theory, primarily because I'm not too fond of restricting something as free and whimsical as music to designated 'instructions' (I feel there are already enough things in this world telling us what and how to do something without also being told how to create music) but admittedly what I have learnt has proven rather useful :p. Bach chorales! I’m utterly envious of you. I wish you all the luck with the remainder of your course (not that you probably need it).

Accomplished? Hah! I don't see myself so - I'm just one who messes around with noise as an artistic medium. :P I would like to think of my music as decently 'elegant' unless I don't wish for it to sound that way. I loathe all of the technicalities, but for the sake of marks on your composition, everything must be musically 'correct'. *Grumbles* It holds us all back, really!

One can always do with more luck. :P Why \"Tis essentially what I do (or did before today... :()\"? I'm curious.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10179 by EternusAtrumDiligo
To SkieShauphen
Hah I'm similar regarding my Irish background, being the first born other than my sister in Australia of many generations of Irish folk back to Brian Boru. My German family, however, have been living in Australia since the 1850s, they were the Schwerdt(sword) family, reasonably prominent living around Schwerin in northern Germany. I refuse to consider myself at all Australian as I believe it shameful to be citizen to a nation with only 200 years history (younger than some of my EU friend's houses). I am hoping to return to Europe next year which will be a significant relief.

To Envy

True, the laws of music are always a topic of heated argument between myself and music teacher, usually ending with me yelling \"Damn your confounded theory! You cannot tame music as if it were a mere beast of burden\" then pulling out my glove and challenging her to a duel, pistols at dawn... or something like that :p Oh half my band suddenly decided to leave the state yesterday so I will no longer compose anything with them, but of course I will keep composing myself just with a very different sound and therefore feeling. However it is nothing too dire, I am sure when I am finally in the UK next year I will find some people to form a much more stable and successful band with. :)

One cannot know life without knowning death, for all those same that live, die.

More
14 years 4 months ago #10191 by cemwerewolf
EternusAtrumDiligo wrote:

To Cemwerewolf

Excellent! I hope you achieve the collection you both desire. A friend of mine has her bedroom walls covered in all different types of swords. (she should hopefully be joining AG soon and you'll be able to ask her all about her 'armoury' then)

Well, then I'm afraid your friend shall be subject to my boundless envy. Do you collect such weaponry or, if not, wish to do so in the future?

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds