Show Navigation Menu
Introduce yourself to the community here.

Hey =)

More
14 years 3 months ago #13554 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Hey =)
I find it interesting that the UK is so small, geographically speaking, but there are so many different regional accents. Even leaving aside the different countries, there seem to be a lot of differences just from one region to another.

When I went to Wales, the people at the desk when we were checking in were surprised to find out I was from Canada. I was very tired by that point, so my Cape Breton accent was much stronger than usual, and that sounds similar to a Scottish accent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13586 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Hey =)
Morgana wrote:

I find it interesting that the UK is so small, geographically speaking, but there are so many different regional accents. Even leaving aside the different countries, there seem to be a lot of differences just from one region to another.

Ah that's true. There's a local accent where I live (Leicester) and several other extremely different accents within an hour's drive from here in all directions. :P It's strange..But it's probably because the residents of the UK are from all sorts of heritages, combined in a tiny space, and the accents of whoever occupied a part of land just got passed on.

Makes it really easy to guess who came from where though.

There are similarities in some accents as well, even though within the UK the origins of the accents geographically aren't that close, e.g. I find people from Gloucester sound like people from Cornwall. Probably to do with the occupation of land thing..*Shrug* That's probably a very awkward way of explaining. :woohoo: Sorry if no one understands!

I hear Scottish accents as very strong, but I love it! (Hey, it was voted sexiest accent in Britain last year and I agree whole-heartedly) :P My parents, on the other hand, can't hear a word of it..Which is lucky as my boyfriend cusses a lot just from habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds