Show Navigation Menu
Media

Shakespeare

More
14 years 3 months ago #12868 by millkins
Replied by millkins on topic Re:Shakespeare
I like Hamlet the best (but I really haven't read that many so I can't say there isn't any :)

As for poems I have tried reading them some years ago and I ended up confused (they were written in an older version of English (my roommate was studding English) so I couldn't really understand it very well.

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #12880 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Shakespeare
millkins wrote:

I like Hamlet the best (but I really haven't read that many so I can't say there isn't any :)

As for poems I have tried reading them some years ago and I ended up confused (they were written in an older version of English (my roommate was studding English) so I couldn't really understand it very well.

Ahh I have problems reading some Shakespearean poetry without researching some of the words etc..But I think I prefer things being that way, seeing as the effect of some words/phrases are lost in 'translation'..I'd much prefer to read the original and research.

More
14 years 3 months ago #12884 by millkins
Replied by millkins on topic Re:Shakespeare
Yes you are right but as English for my second language it is a bit harder than I expected. One day, maybe I'll get the hang of it, I don't wanna read it in Serbian :P

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
14 years 3 months ago #12912 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Shakespeare
Envy wrote:

millkins wrote:

Ahh I have problems reading some Shakespearean poetry without researching some of the words etc..But I think I prefer things being that way, seeing as the effect of some words/phrases are lost in 'translation'..I'd much prefer to read the original and research.

I find that happens with Jane Austen as well. I have a pretty good vocabulary, but there's the odd word here and there which I have to look up. I can imagine there would be even more in Shakespeare, since his work is that much older than Austen's. Funny how language evolves over time...

More
14 years 3 months ago #12968 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Shakespeare
Morgana wrote:

Envy wrote:

millkins wrote:

I find that happens with Jane Austen as well. I have a pretty good vocabulary, but there's the odd word here and there which I have to look up. I can imagine there would be even more in Shakespeare, since his work is that much older than Austen's. Funny how language evolves over time...

But reading something with the original language does have a nice, authentic-periodic effect. :) With things like Jane Austen, it allows you to really get into the text..I remember a friend who got so absorbed in Jane Austens that she began talking in a different manner. :woohoo:

More
14 years 3 months ago #12976 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Shakespeare
I sometimes start using antiquated phrases if I read a lot of Jane Austen or any older literature. People look at me funny, but it sort of fits my personna. And I guess that reading in a language that is not your native language would be good in a lot of ways, having to look up words a lot will improve your vocabulary or understanding of the language. But I don't know if looking a lot of Shakesperean words up will help much with modern English! But still fun...

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds