Show Navigation Menu
Media

the voynich manuscript

More
14 years 2 days ago #19559 by millkins
Replied by millkins on topic Re:the voynich manuscript
Hmmm I never knew about this :)

Maybe he was a \"super genius indeed\" ;) But it buggs me that noone has ever deciphered it...kind of spooky if it is true :D

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25350 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:the voynich manuscript
I saw something about this on TV last night, on a show called William Shatner's Weird or What. I knew I had heard about it somewhere before, and figured it was probably on this forum somewhere. Several expert linguists and code breakers are still trying to crack the code, but no one has had any luck yet. Even the people who cracked the German Enigma code during WWII have not been able to figure this one out.

The parchment and ink of the document have been dated to the early 1400s, but there was an expert on the show who proved how it could have been made up quickly and easily out of gibberish at that time. He had caligraphers write random combinations of letters (in the Voynich alphabet) on a grid, while leaving some boxes empty. They then took another piece of paper with 3 squares cut out of it, placed that over the grid, and wrote down whatever letter combinations appeared in the cutouts, as a word, then move the paper and repeated the process.

Apparently, if you try to write in a made-up language freehand, you'll end up repeating yourself over and over, but by doing it this way, they were able to produce something that looked like the original, without any obvious repetitive pattern.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25415 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Wow. That manuscript would be something to see! I wonder what it all could mean...I hope someone is able to decipher it eventually...I'm rather curious now.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 7 months ago #25419 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:the voynich manuscript
Morgana wrote:

Even the people who cracked the German Enigma code during WWII have not been able to figure this one out.

Hmm..I thought the main man who broke the code killed himself because he was penalised for being homosexual?

More
13 years 7 months ago #25445 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:the voynich manuscript
Envy wrote:

Morgana wrote:

Even the people who cracked the German Enigma code during WWII have not been able to figure this one out.

Hmm..I thought the main man who broke the code killed himself because he was penalised for being homosexual?

I hadn't heard that, but it's possible... I'm not even sure of the names of the people who cracked it. But on the show it mentioned that they had a go at the Voynich manuscript, after the war was over.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25460 by Serpenvicis
I heard for the voynich manuscript before. I'm very curios about it. Generally I love these old letters and things like that.
I hope someone will decipher it.

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds