Show Navigation Menu
Media

Victorian Era Movies

More
14 years 6 months ago #6923 by anastasia13
Casanova, Vanity Fair, Count of Monte Cristo... what other movies come to mind that you would like?

I love those...please list more and I will go and watch them if I can...

Anastasia

Those who stand in white blessed light might not always be good, those who stand in the inky shadows of darkness might not always be evil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #6941 by Highwayman
Replied by Highwayman on topic Re:Victorian Era Movies
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde one of my favourites.

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

More
14 years 6 months ago #7005 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Victorian Era Movies
I have a few different versions of Jekyll and Hyde. One is a silent movie from 1920 starring John Barrymore. Another is from 1932, starring Frederick March, and yet another one from 1941, starring Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman. It's interesting to watch one after another, and see the differences, yet similarities, between them. I also have the book, along with a couple of other short stories by RL Stevenson.

More
14 years 6 months ago #7012 by Highwayman
Replied by Highwayman on topic Re:Victorian Era Movies
Wow you got a nice Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde collection there Morgana iv'e not seen the Frederick March version.

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

More
14 years 6 months ago #7095 by Morgana
I didn't really mean to collect them, it just kinda happened... The Frederick March version is very good. Apparently at the time it was made, people were concerned about his being cast in the role, because he was known more as a comedic actor. But he really pulled it off very well. It's been a while since I watched any of them though.

More
14 years 6 months ago #7103 by Morgana
anastasia13 wrote:

Casanova, Vanity Fair, Count of Monte Cristo... what other movies come to mind that you would like?

I love those...please list more and I will go and watch them if I can...

A couple of suggestions, if you like silent movies...

Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) and Phantom of the Opera (1925), both starring the imcomparable Lon Chaney. There was also a movie made of The Picture of Dorian Gray, in 1945. I've never seen it, but I have the book and have read it several times.

I don't know if these would qualify as \"Victorian\" exactly, but they're all good stories.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds