Show Navigation Menu
Media

Edgar Alan Poe

More
14 years 7 months ago #4240 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Edgar Alan Poe
For his tales, I'm going with The Black Cat and The Pit and the Pendulum. Poems: the Raven, For Annie, Ulalume. Though I'm not sure how to pronounce the latter...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #4253 by Zenith
Replied by Zenith on topic Re:Edgar Alan Poe
anastasia13 wrote:

Has to be the Case of Mr. Valdemar.....My mother has Vincent Price on vinyl reading all the stories. She's going to send them to me and even though I don't have a turn table they are going on my wall in a frame. They are awesome..

Vincent Price reading Poe...:kiss: that's a dream, you're lucky to have such priceless vinyls. I for one have seen all Poe adaptations starring Vincent Price and I found each and every one amazing!!!!

Returning to the subject (and I could write pages on it, as I absolutely and utterly adore Poe's works), I will name a few of my favourites:
The Raven (needn't I say more)
Al Aaraaf (it always gives me a calm, blissful yet melancholy state while reading it, and it has inspired a few of my paintings, which always turn out to be more colourful than the rest...)
Ulalume (I actually cried when reading that poem)
A Dream Within A Dream (isn't all that we se or seem but a dream within a dream?)
Israfel, To One in Paradise, The Valley of Unrest, Annabell Lee, The Conqueror Worm, Fairyland
Prose: The Fall of the House of Usher (it kinda gives me the chills), Ligeia, The Black Cat, The Assignation, Ms found in a Bottle
and I also adore The Island of the Fay (this is something that also inspires me, I made a huge oil on cardboard painting on this theme), The Angel of the Odd and How to Write a Blackwood article. The last two actalyy stole a few chuckles from me. oh, them and The Duc de'l Omlette

the thread of life lies severed on the brink of paradise.. .

More
14 years 7 months ago #4257 by Polaristhe2
Replied by Polaristhe2 on topic Re:Edgar Alan Poe
All in all, I don't really like Poe. Sure he's wonderful, but there are far better poets from the period, in my opinion.

Personally I loathe the raven. I feel a little twitch in the right side of my brain every time someone even mentions it.
My personal favorite is Alone, however. Much less known than than the damned bird, but much better.

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

More
14 years 7 months ago #4289 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:Edgar Alan Poe
Was searching for scary books, and found a collection of Edgar Allan Poe's novells. A few of them, I believe, but I didn't find anyone really scary. Nothing really interesting. Maybe I was too young back then, but it didn't sound anything interesting.

I do believe there's a few stories interesting, got no names tho, and one I remember I've read somewhere else that caught my eye. Not much at the time, but I do remember it clearly, so somehow it stayed with me.

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 7 months ago #4291 by TricksterShade
Replied by TricksterShade on topic Re:Edgar Alan Poe
The Tell-Tale Heart is no doubt the classic horror story. The story is not complicated but the tension simply pass straightly from the words to your heart!
The Raven is another good one, and I think it is somehow romantic lol

More
14 years 7 months ago #4345 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Edgar Alan Poe
I wasn't over-struck on the Fall of the House of Usher. Perhaps because it's built up to be one of his best. But I found is a bit slow-burning; the scary stuff only starts up towards the end and it's over too soon.

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds