Show Navigation Menu
Media

The impact of music

More
12 years 10 months ago #33417 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: The impact of music
Completely agree. :P

I've just had to make-do these past few years without music apart from at night when it's dead silent and I can keep the volume of my music under control.

What annoys me the most is that a lot of my friends have their iPods etc. on *insane volume* and yet haven't got as bad hearing as me - Yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33434 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: The impact of music
Serpenvicis, I think you'll just have to bite your tongue for now, when dealing with this particular teacher. You'll never change her mind, and getting upset only proves her point. It sounds like you won't have to deal with her much longer anyway, if you're finishing at that school soon. Although there are always going to be people who think metal = evil, and you'll never change their minds by talking. It's much easier just to live your life, and prove them wrong by example.

Funny how music, religion and other interests are only mentioned in the news when they're \"weird\". When was the last time you saw a headline blaring \"country music fan snaps, kills teacher and classmates\"?

Religion was't even an optional class when I was at school, never mind compulsory. I guess things are different in Europe vs. Canada/US? I don't think I would have enjoyed a class like that though... seems like just another avenue for the mainstream religions to brainwash yet another generation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33444 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: The impact of music
Morgana wrote:

Religion was't even an optional class when I was at school, never mind compulsory. I guess things are different in Europe vs. Canada/US? I don't think I would have enjoyed a class like that though... seems like just another avenue for the mainstream religions to brainwash yet another generation.

Well over here it's meant to be 'religious education' - But it's like 80% Christianity (and the teachers told us it's compulsory to have the majority of the course focused on Christianity) and then 10% Islam and 10% Judaism.

Bit annoying..I would've been more okay with it if they'd taught us about more religions really. Just as a 'matter of interest' or 'just to know' thing.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33446 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

Morgana wrote:

Well over here it's meant to be 'religious education' - But it's like 80% Christianity (and the teachers told us it's compulsory to have the majority of the course focused on Christianity) and then 10% Islam and 10% Judaism.

Bit annoying..I would've been more okay with it if they'd taught us about more religions really. Just as a 'matter of interest' or 'just to know' thing.

Here it's also supposed to be something like 'religion education', but you can choose between Catholic or Islamic religion education - ergo the focus is mainly on one of those (depending on your choice) but in the course you also learn about other religions (Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Taoism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism etc.). In the end it depends on your teacher how much time they spend on the matter of other religions, but in my high-school they were pretty good from what my classmates told me (those who had religion).

In elementary school RE was optional for all, in high-school it was compulsory to take either RE or Ethics. The difference in the curriculum between RE and Ethics is that in RE all the topics were discussed through the eyes of the Catholic or Islamic Religion/Church, while in Ethics we didn't have that aspect of religion in the discussion (everything was about morals, ethics etc. :silly:). In Ethics we also learned about other world religions etc. Just same \"shit\" - different package. :woohoo:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33461 by iHauntTheSepulchre
I went to both a Catholic primary school and a Catholic secondary school. In primary school mention another religion and you get detention. In secondary school other religions were allowed as long as they were \"normal\"; Judaism, Islam, Buddhism as well as obviously anything that comes under Christianity. When I did my assignment on Pagans, my teacher gave me a lecture. I promptly ignored her.

In Australia, whether you study religion or not depends on the type of school you go to.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds