Show Navigation Menu
Media

Gothic Literature

More
13 years 3 days ago #32526 by Anti-You
Gothic Literature was created by Anti-You
Lately I've been exploring the vast subject of old Gothic Literature, and so far, have been quite overwhelmed and have certainly found a much more comforting genre to fill up my shelves :)
My recent reads include, Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, And The Picture Of Dorian Gray.
Im currently about to start reading a copy of 'The Vampyre' by John Polidori, which recently arrived in the mail.

But the reason Im now posting this thread, is to say that I'm very keen to read more novels from this genre and to explore the depths of this fascinating literature.

Would anyone else out there know of any other highly recommended books from this genre that I should pick up and start reading?

I'm also curious to find out what other opinions would be on certain works in this genre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 days ago #32529 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Gothic Literature
Hmm..I've had this conversation before, though on which thread I cannot remember.

:P Albiet slightly lovey-dovey...Ish..In a demented way...Would be Wuthering Heights. I find it a pretty interesting read, although some I know have absolutely hated it.

More
13 years 3 days ago #32530 by Entwine
Replied by Entwine on topic Re: Gothic Literature
I haven't read too many books in this genre, or any for that matter, not a big reader. But the ones I enjoyed the most were Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles series. All the books in that series are excellent!

As I was sitting on my chair
I knew the bottom wasn't there
Nor legs, nor back, but I just sat
Ignoring little things like that

More
13 years 3 days ago - 13 years 3 days ago #32533 by black_magnolia
A far as recommendations go, I'd add:
anything form E. A. Poe
\"The Phantom of the Opera\" - Gaston Leroux
\"The Call of Cthuluh\" - H. P. Lovecraft
\"The Hunchback of Notre Dame\" - Victor Hugo
\"The Scarlet Letter\" - Nathaniel Hawthorne
\"The Witch of Grič\" - Marija Jurić Zagorka (this one is an excellent work, but sadly not translated into English, but it's available in German)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 3 days ago by black_magnolia.

More
13 years 1 day ago #32558 by firensia
Replied by firensia on topic Re: Gothic Literature
Agreed with Entwine. Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are amazing. Edgar Allan Poe and Lovecraft as well. I'd also recommend Shakespeare's tragedies such as Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello, King Lear and of course, Romeo and Juliet. If you're into poetry, John Keats is excellent.

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

More
12 years 11 months ago #32648 by Anti-You
Replied by Anti-You on topic Re: Gothic Literature
An interesting combination, guess I shouldve mentioned my collection of Edgar Allen Poe books.
Sadly I cant find a book club in my corner of the world, that would at least give a hint or recommendation.
But trailing my old movies the the original novel appear to be coming up with all sorts of things :)

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds