Show Navigation Menu
Media

The Alchemyst books

More
14 years 7 months ago #3036 by scootiebee
I know they are kids' books, but has anyone else read the Alchemyst: The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel, by Michael Scott? There are only 3 of the 6 total books so far, but they are a lot of fun. Lots of strange characters from Dr. John Dee, Hekate, Macchiavelli, The Witch of Endor, the Morrigan, and so many others. It is a lot of fun, once you get past the fact that its intended audience is younger than you are. I just figured on a website called Alchemy, many people would be interested. Unfortunately, the three books due in the series will be released one per year. So long to wait! The three already are The Alchemyst, the Magician, and the Sorceress.

www.dillonscott.com/young-adult-books/index.htm in case you want to check them out.

Thanks for reading!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3042 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:The Alchemyst books
When it coes to information in different variations, I don't mind the intended audience... got a few 'child'-information books about dragons, magicians and egypt. If nothing else, then the variety you can get is worth the gold for them. I'm always interested in different views, and in a childs book there can be a lot different then for the adult.

Never heard of these books tho, but they sound interesting - only information I got one Nicolas Flamell is through Harry Potter. I'll try to see if they got them closeby, here in Sweden, and maybe I'll get them if so

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 7 months ago #3060 by trykster
Replied by trykster on topic Re:The Alchemyst books
i just got the first one! =) i didn't start reading it yet though :S hmmm... idk to be honest i read the first sentence and got backhanded by the fact that it happens in present time :S i was hoping for a book on Flamell but in his time... does the timeperiod change? :o

More
14 years 7 months ago #3061 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:The Alchemyst books
No, the time period is present day, but it is Flamel's time, he is immortal in the book, and is something like 600 years old. The first three books take place over about 6 consecutive days, but in modern time.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3407 by Tremein
Replied by Tremein on topic Re:The Alchemyst books
I found these books to be quite enjoyable despite the toned down content.
Crammed full of mythology and legends, very interesting,
great for introducing someone to the mysteries out there.

But the hodgepodge gets a bit bizarre at times.
Michael Scott thinks up myth variations and interactions
that never would have occured to me.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3409 by trykster
Replied by trykster on topic Re:The Alchemyst books
i suppose ill give the book a proper read then, i mean i really lost hope. i'm such a bad person, leaving a book there cuz of the first chaper :p shame on me! >:(

Time to create page: 0.338 seconds