Show Navigation Menu
Media

Your favourite classical musician...

More
13 years 5 months ago #27338 by Bittersweet_Pixie
Thankyou Envy and Black_Magnolia,

But of course the disscussion is open to all periods of classical music! :blush:

One of my favourite's is a modern classical piece called Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass.
It's a piece which for many years I mistook for Gregorian chant and was suprised (yet delighted) to hear it was compossed in 1981. Truly a spectacular piece :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27434 by Mr.Obsidian
I like me some Bach, but on more modern day I tend to like Mr. Doctor's Devil Doll (Which is like listening to a play with a full orchestra, choir and some guitar), Lacrimosa (Older stuff was more neo-classical mixed with some metal and later stuff more metal mixed with classical) and Shinjuku Theif (Which is more deep atmosphereic synth mixed with classical and a little noise). :)

Would Sopor Aeternus be considered classical or dark folk?

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #27436 by Envy
Hmm..I know it definately wouldn't be considered classical if we're on about classifications. (To be pessimistic) for anything to be considered technically 'classical', it would've had to have been composed around 1730–1820, plus the orchestra used would have certain balances of instruments/lack other instruments or lack the prominent use of certain instruments (such as brass and percussion, which are increasingly more prominent in romantic period to 20th century music).

From a quick browse of YouTube, I would simply say that stuff by 'Sopor Aeternus' would most likely be classified as 20th century orchestral music. Anything with those synth-type sounds would definately be under 20th century orchestral music. There may be neo-classical elements there, but..I haven't heard any yet and you'd really need to see the score to get a good idea...

To go into classification deeper than that - I couldn't say, and I'd be here for years if I attempted anything of the sort. :P
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27455 by Draig13
Hmm well all my favourite composers are definitely in the Romantic period.

Tchaikovsky, while not a great fan of his ballet work, his symphonies are amazing. His 6th and last one written just before he died gets me every time, definitely my favourite piece of classical music.

Isaac Albeniz is up there too, just cause I love his piano compositions when played on a classical guitar. Can stumble through a couple of them but definitely better left to the professionals.

I think in general though Beethoven would be my favourite just cause there isn't really something he's written that I dislike, he's kinda like my safe bet.

I don't know why, I think it's probably all the piano exams I did when I was younger, but I'm not a fan of Mozart. Every exam syllabus would have at least two of his pieces in (never any of his popular ones) so now whenever I hear his music I just get reminded of music exams and endless piano practice on music that didn't really appeal to me but I had no choice but to play.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33880 by Eiríkr
There are many, but I think the artist that really inspires me more, is J.S. Bach

More
12 years 10 months ago #33889 by Envy
Eiríkr wrote:

There are many, but I think the artist that really inspires me more, is J.S. Bach

Any favourite pieces in particular? :silly:

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds