Show Navigation Menu
Media

Within Temptation

More
12 years 9 months ago #33937 by Entwine
Replied by Entwine on topic Re: Within Temptation
I'm a huge Within Temptation fan, The Heart of Everything and The Silent Force are two of my favorite cd's of all time! Sharon's voice is amazing :kiss:

As I was sitting on my chair
I knew the bottom wasn't there
Nor legs, nor back, but I just sat
Ignoring little things like that

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33951 by Eiríkr
Replied by Eiríkr on topic Re: Within Temptation
Initially the project \"Nightwish\" was only acoustic, then joined Tarja .. you can say what you want, but Nightwish of \"Once, Angel Fall First, Century child\" play ghotic ...

Now i agree with you..with anette the sound is more symphonic.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33953 by black_magnolia
Eiríkr wrote:

Initially the project \"Nightwish\" was only acoustic, then joined Tarja .. you can say what you want, but Nightwish of \"Once, Angel Fall First, Century child\" play ghotic ...

Now i agree with you..with anette the sound is more symphonic.

:woohoo: Ok, it probably isn't obvious but I'm a Nightwish fan (even got the whole band's autographs at home :)) and I only like Within Temptation, therefore you don't have to teach me about Nightwish's history. Yes, it started off as acoustic but Tarja was there from the start, ergo - no she didn't join later. :silly:
They recorded some three acoustic songs, but soon changed the acoustic guitar with the electric one and incorporated metal elements becasue Tuomas thought that Tarja's opera voice was too strong for an acoustic band...

As you say - to each their own opinion, but I can't help myself but notice how you don't know the difference between symphonic and gothic metal. :woohoo:

Gothic metal is a subgenre of heavy metal music that combines the aggression of doom metal with the dark melancholy of gothic rock. The music of gothic metal is diverse with bands known to adopt the gothic approach to different styles of heavy metal music.
The genre originated during the early 1990s in Europe originally as an outgrowth of a fusion of death metal and doom metal.

(Doom metal is an extreme form of heavy metal music that typically uses slower tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much \"thicker\" or \"heavier\" sound than other metal genres. Both the music and the lyrics intend to evoke a sense of despair, dread, and impending doom)

Symphonic metal is a term used to describe heavy metal music that has symphonic elements; that is, elements that are either borrowed from classical music or create a style reminiscent of it, e.g. operatic female lead vocals; instrumentation that includes acoustic guitars and different types of keyboards instead of relying solely on electric guitars; asymmetrical meters such as 5/4 and 7/8, and classical thematic material in addition to characteristically heavy metal power riffs.

(Power metal is today associated with fast tempo and melodic harmonies, the sound tempered by characteristics of speed metal, etc.)

Ah, enough of Nightwish discussion in the Within Temptation thread. :P At least the genre definitions will be useful for the others too. ;)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33972 by Eiríkr
Replied by Eiríkr on topic Re: Within Temptation
black_magnolia wrote:

:woohoo: Ok, it probably isn't obvious but I'm a Nightwish fan (even got the whole band's autographs at home :)) and I only like Within Temptation, therefore you don't have to teach me about Nightwish's history. Yes, it started off as acoustic but Tarja was there from the start, ergo - no she didn't join later. :silly:
They recorded some three acoustic songs, but soon changed the acoustic guitar with the electric one and incorporated metal elements becasue Tuomas thought that Tarja's opera voice was too strong for an acoustic band...

As you say - to each their own opinion, but I can't help myself but notice how you don't know the difference between symphonic and gothic metal. :woohoo:

Gothic metal is a subgenre of heavy metal music that combines the aggression of doom metal with the dark melancholy of gothic rock. The music of gothic metal is diverse with bands known to adopt the gothic approach to different styles of heavy metal music.
The genre originated during the early 1990s in Europe originally as an outgrowth of a fusion of death metal and doom metal.

(Doom metal is an extreme form of heavy metal music that typically uses slower tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much \"thicker\" or \"heavier\" sound than other metal genres. Both the music and the lyrics intend to evoke a sense of despair, dread, and impending doom)

Symphonic metal is a term used to describe heavy metal music that has symphonic elements; that is, elements that are either borrowed from classical music or create a style reminiscent of it, e.g. operatic female lead vocals; instrumentation that includes acoustic guitars and different types of keyboards instead of relying solely on electric guitars; asymmetrical meters such as 5/4 and 7/8, and classical thematic material in addition to characteristically heavy metal power riffs.

(Power metal is today associated with fast tempo and melodic harmonies, the sound tempered by characteristics of speed metal, etc.)

Ah, enough of Nightwish discussion in the Within Temptation thread. :P At least the genre definitions will be useful for the others too. ;)

I remain of the hypothesis that in spite of your explanation of the genre (which I already knew) that the first Nightwish album with Tarja was a group .. gothic (gothic and symphonic are two too different) ..
With anette now are really symphonic..

To each,their own opinions .... I listen nightwish for a life... :kiss:

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds