Show Navigation Menu
Media

Gothic Movies

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #23596 by Kuroboshi
Gothic Movies was created by Kuroboshi
A friend recently came to me asking if I had any \"gothic movies\" which at this I had no idea on what to say, this was after he borrowed \"The Crow\" 1-3 off me overnight.

So I pose this question. What exactly would make a gothic styled movie? Has anyone got any recommendations when it comes to them?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Kuroboshi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23600 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Gothic Movies
Hmm, that's kind of a tough question to answer, if you want to really pin it down. But I'd say a gothic movie would be anything that's creepy and atmospheric, where a lot of the \"scares\" are left to your own imagination. Whereas in a horror/slasher movie, everything is presented right on the screen, and your brain doesn't have to really make anything up in order to scare you.

Gothic movies that spring immediately to my mind... Nosferatu, Carnival of Souls, Dracula, Horror Hotel, House on Haunted Hill.

Hope that answered your question, at least to some extent.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #23602 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Gothic Movies
Tim Burton's movies come to mind. His works are often loaded with gothic imaginary (Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetle Juice, Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street...)

It's hard to say what really makes a movie gothic. Is it just a movie that goths like to watch or does the movie have to be a bout a particular theme...

I found a list on amazon/through google, titled 40 movies that goths love (in no order) . I agree with some movies being on the list, but I didn't watch all of them so I can't really comment on the whole list, but it's interesting which movies come to mind to different people...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23614 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:Gothic Movies
I'd say that the style/theme of a movie makes it gothic, rather than it being a movie goths like to watch. If I am to use an example from that list, I'd use \"Hard Candy\" nothing about it is particularly gothic to me.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23617 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Gothic Movies
black_magnolia... thanks for that link, there's quite a range of interesting movies listed there. Although a few of them don't immediately suggest \"goth\" to me, such as Ed Wood (which I absolutely love) and Rocky Horror Picture Show. But I guess the term does mean different things to different people.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23644 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Re:Gothic Movies
Bonjour sisters & brothers,

Do not confuse the \"films loved by the Goths\" and the \"Gothic films\".
(Although the Goths love Gothic films)

The film called \"Gothic\" originally belonging to a category of fantasy literature, this category is called \"Gothic horror\".

Whether in books or movies, the main characteristic of this type is: the somber mood.
But also the use of the \"classical fantastic bestiary, which includes: Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Mummies and \"death\" in general.

You can also add to this basic the style often \"Victorian\" and/or early 20th century. For it is a time when many places on earth were still unexplored and where much mystery not solved by science persisted.
In addition to the architecture of these periods was much more captivating and impressive and contributes much to the \"atmosphere\".

Mes hommages.

T.

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds