Show Navigation Menu
Media

Twilight

More
14 years 7 months ago #2520 by Polaristhe2
Replied by Polaristhe2 on topic Re:Sparkly vampires?
So let me summarize. You're an ever living, ever young, and in every aspect possible super human. And you get hooked to a 16 year old girl. Is that even legal?
Well anyway, i agree with janelle. It's good for what's it meant to be. A cheezy melodramatic, dark and gloomy love story. I tried watching it, but stopped, frightened by the fact i might get diabetes from watching it through.
And as I have overheard there is a twilight based mmorpg en route. Wow.
The requirements will be hardcore due to all the glittering and glowing skins. Blah... I guess this was bound to happen.

(prays the lord for a vampire the masquerade mmo, but pleas are unheeded.)

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #2521 by morphea3107
Replied by morphea3107 on topic Re:Sparkly vampires?
diabetes :lol: :lol: :lol: good one polaristhe2

More
14 years 7 months ago #2536 by stopwatchgirl
Replied by stopwatchgirl on topic Re:Sparkly vampires?
I agree with Morphea,
I haven't seen the movie, and i am the last of 5 girls who swore they never would. i read half way into the first book and had to put it down, too sickly sweet for me.

now Trueblood or NightWorld there are good vampire books

More
14 years 7 months ago #2538 by vampirelycanthrope13
I forgot to mention earlier, that while i am not a fan of the twilight 'saga', i have found a sort of similar book, that is basically twilight if written better, for older readers and with werewolves.
Its called blood and chocolate by annettte curtis clause (i think that's how you spell her name) read the book but don't watch the movie, it's really unfaithful to the book.
It is about forbidden love between a werewolf girl and a human guy. There are some good action and horror scenes and the feamale character is is a strong female lead character who is much more independant than bellaa swan.

More
14 years 7 months ago #2539 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Sparkly vampires?
Twilight does for the vampire novel what Evanescence did for gothic rock...

I read the first one, and it was ok. I mean, the plot was cliched and it is easy to pick holes in the whole thing. But it was reasonably well written and I can see why people like it. It's not cutesy but it is inoffensive and easy to relate to for teenagers. Stephen King (a proper horror writer) said:

“People are attracted by the stories, by the pace, and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because it’s not overtly sexual.”

He further explains, “A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like, the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet.”

The whole interview is here: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29001524

The movie isn't bad I must say. If you watch it as a teen high school drama and not a horror romance.

More
14 years 7 months ago #2547 by Rubyred
Replied by Rubyred on topic Re:Sparkly vampires?
Now I really enjoyed the film, I went to see it because the lead girl in it had a part in 'into the wild' and was brillient.

I then read the books and I have to say, I was not impressed, I just cannot believe the writer supposidly has a degree in English, the writing is just awful, they've also not been proof read properly and there are loads of mistakes, which is just sloppy.

That said I read the entire series, I hate leaving things like that started and not finished, and based on the fact that they're not hard reads I figured it was worth wasting those hours on my life in order to be able to come back to all the fans who go 'You don't like the series? How can you say when you haven't read all the books.'

I accept I am probably marginally older then her target audience though.

I also can't accept that people like her books because they are 'fast paced' very little happens in the second book until the last chapter, she sets up all these charecters and never really gives us any back story to make them more likeable or understandable, she starts to do it with Alice and then sort of gives up half way through.

She has a decent idea though, so despite her writing I can sort of see why they sell, a bit like Harry Potter.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds