Show Navigation Menu
All things Alchemy.

Tankards.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #35452 by Envy
Tankards. was created by Envy
Hey all..Just wondering.

Does anyone know what Alchemy tankards are made of?

I think the finish is coming off of mine on the inside. :S Not sure if that's very safe to drink from..Not sure what to do about it either! :(
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Envy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #35454 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Tankards.
They are made of pewter, that's for certain, but dunno what to say if there is something peeling off. :S

I'd recommend giving it a good scrub, as it may just be old patina accumulated from non-usage.

I'll poke the admin for an answer... ;)

In the mean time, could you post a picture of the peeling part?

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
12 years 7 months ago #35455 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Tankards.
black_magnolia wrote:

They are made of pewter, that's for certain, but dunno what to say if there is something peeling off. :S

I'd recommend giving it a good scrub, as it may just be old patina accumulated from non-usage.

I'll poke the admin for an answer... ;)

In the mean time, could you post a picture of the peeling part?

I did give it a scrub but it hasn't moved it..And I'm scared more stuff will just come off. It's not exactly peeled, but parts of the finish have just disappeared..Probably into my water. Which is a comforting thought. :S

I don't think it would be a patina..I'd have thought stuff like tankards would've been treated? Plus this stuff accumulated *whilst* I've been using it for the past few days..I just noticed these weird lines appearing and then realised it might actually be the finish coming off.

More
12 years 7 months ago #35456 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Tankards.
Pewter naturally gets a patina, but contrary to the green patina copper gets, pewter just gets a darker greyish/silver colour.

I know when I cleaned my jeweller, I had a load of stuff peel off one of my rings. I had a real fright that I damaged the ring or something, but I just let it soak a bit in warm water and gently scrubbed it with a old toothbrush. For some time it was weird seeing the ring like that without the dark parts, but with time it got back to it's usual state.

Therefore, I'd say just let the tankard soak in a bit of soapy water and give a nice scrub and you'll be fine. :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds