Show Navigation Menu

I may grow old but I refuse to grow up!

More
14 years 5 months ago #9535 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

I love watching those old Disney animated films. Especially when I'm feeling depressed or lonely I watch The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Alladin etc. Always makes me feel better. :)

I find that unusual - I can't watch Disney films. They really distress me. :S The Lion King involves the loss of Simba's father..Beauty and the Beast I don't get too upset at, nor with Aladdin. I think Bambi is the worst. I've never seen the whole movie because the death of his mother was just too much for me. >.<! I think it's cruel to allow kids especially to watch Disney films that have tragic parts..I know it distressed me, but maybe I was a weird child.

Nothing against Alice in Wonderland though. It's probably the only Disney film I'll happily watch without having to think about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #9570 by cemwerewolf
I really enjoy the classic Disney movies as well. But, like black_magnolia, I find some of the more tragic events difficult to deal with. I make it through them but I still feel a little sick to my stomach. For some reason there's a couple children's movies and even books that are guaranteed to reduce me to tears. Actually, it's kind of funny cause I like to think of myself as a pretty tough person who isn't phased by much.

And I hope your friend enjoys her fairytales Envy! I'm a huge fan of any kind of fairytale myself and really enjoy telling stories. A couple of friends of mine swear I was meant to be around awhile ago when history was told by word of mouth and \"the best seat by the fire was saved for the storyteller . . .\" (Bonus points if you know where that reference came from!)

More
14 years 5 months ago #9583 by black_magnolia
cemwerewolf wrote:

I really enjoy the classic Disney movies as well. But, like black_magnolia, I find some of the more tragic events difficult to deal with. I make it through them but I still feel a little sick to my stomach. For some reason there's a couple children's movies and even books that are guaranteed to reduce me to tears. Actually, it's kind of funny cause I like to think of myself as a pretty tough person who isn't phased by much.

And I hope your friend enjoys her fairytales Envy! I'm a huge fan of any kind of fairytale myself and really enjoy telling stories. A couple of friends of mine swear I was meant to be around awhile ago when history was told by word of mouth and \"the best seat by the fire was saved for the storyteller . . .\" (Bonus points if you know where that reference came from!)

You mean \"like Envy\". LOL
I cry every time I watch The Lion King, Bambi and other more tragic movies, but somehow they don't distress me because there's a happy ending.
I think children should know about death and loss, no use of them living in a golden cage.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 5 months ago #9604 by cemwerewolf
Bah . . . there goes me not paying attention again with that whole quote thingy. Half the time I forget that there's an option to do that. Computers hate me . . .

Anywho . . . I agree with black_magnolia for real this time on the concept of death and loss. I think perhaps this is why Disney incorperated such tragic events into children's movies. It's a way to expose them to such hard truths in life while maintaining a medium that they are comfortable with.

More
14 years 5 months ago #9607 by Envy
cemwerewolf wrote:

Anywho . . . I agree with black_magnolia for real this time on the concept of death and loss. I think perhaps this is why Disney incorperated such tragic events into children's movies. It's a way to expose them to such hard truths in life while maintaining a medium that they are comfortable with.

True..I had this debate with a friend before. I still think that despite children needing to know harsh truths, it's still distressing. I guess it could depend on the individual child - After all, supposedly some children are born with a natural tendancy to be more prone to stress and depression than others due to genes.

Maybe I watched Disney movies at too young an age. The mention of 'Bambi' still makes me shudder.

More
14 years 5 months ago #9682 by CorpseQueen
But children have another kind of mind then adults. There are books that children read and find interesting and fun, but if an adult would read that same book it would scare the shit out of him/her.

And anyone who has read the real Peter Pan knows that Disney fluff things up pretty nice... last time I saw that movie the pirates lived to the end. In the book, they are slaughtered by the kids. And so on... there's a LOT that doesn't match at all.

I'm not the one to like childish things. May be because they're all rubbish; bad quality and overfilled with gender roles - pink for girls and blue for boys... to my defense, I've only worn one pink thing in my life - with Turtles on it.
Old Disney movies can be nice, but I just don't have that kind of child in me. I love superheroes, but because they're cool and fit my dreams, not because they bring out the child in me... pretty much the opposite, as the dreams I may get from a movie or novell alike are far too dark. But I've had dark dreams as a child...

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds