Show Navigation Menu

I may grow old but I refuse to grow up!

More
14 years 5 months ago #9425 by cemwerewolf
If a person who didn't know much about me were to take a look in my house, they would probably assume that there was a child living there. Unless you count my husband and myself, there isn't. Yet the house is littered with action figures, dolls, stuffed animals, animated images and the like. So, I got to wondering . . . with the growing profusion of gothy toys out there, is anyone else's home buried in a deluge of second childhood?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #9426 by StephenG
B) HUZZAH!
good to know there are others out there like me with PETER PAN COMPLEX
(that's what the shrinks call it)
some of the most interesting ppl i know refuse to act their age (like me :) )
I don't see anything wrong with it, unless of course you are as i call it \"stunted\": when you are SO stuck in your childhood, you truly don't act grown up (like that person we all know that has nothing to talk about but things we did back in HIGH SCOOL- 10++ YEARS AGO!)

but again i say to all those young at hearts that write in here before or after me: ROCK ON WIT YO BAD SELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
14 years 5 months ago #9434 by cemwerewolf
It's an absolute delight to come across someone with such a positive opinion of childish behaviour! :laugh: But, in all seriousness, I do act the part of an adult in my day to day life. I hold down a job, pay my bills on time and keep my household in order. Yet I find much joy in childish pursuits. Right now I'm reading a series of books containing children's stories and fairytales. My study contains piles of stuffed animals that have accumulated over the years, mostly due to my husband as he went through a phase where he bought me a plush every time he screwed up! :) But in my defense I have some damn cool plush! How many people can say that they have a number of stuffed dragons, a minotaur, Anubis, a griffin, a komodo dragon, a scorpion, a vampire bat, a raven . . . the list goes on. But amongst these childish trappings I have action figures, - something that the collecting of is seen as a serious adult hobby - an old tin horse that was my dad's, a painting of a rather adorable rabbit that my grandmother painted . . . and I think I'll stop at that since I'm getting rather rambly. The short story is that I'm very in touch with my inner child and we love it!

More
14 years 5 months ago #9450 by black_magnolia
I agree to the concept of staying young in ones mind, but I loathe it when \"growing up\" is seen like a bad thing. Growing up is a part of life.
Imagine yourself as an acorn. Would you rather be that acorn all your life or rather a beautiful oak tree that has never forgotten how it's to be an acorn or stayed as young in heart like an acorn?
Being an adult, through and through, defines you as a *complete* human being. (Complete is a difficult word in this context, and would need more elaborating, but I hope everyone can see my point, especially having in mind the acorn-oak example.)
I think that labelling something as childish, in the sense that it's made for children as the primary consumers, doesn't need to have any negative connotation.
Children didn't come up with the idea of plushies, action figures or similar stuff - adults did, seeing that those things were adored by children...
It's sad to see \"adults\" behaving like they never were children, but it's also sad to see someone literally behaving like a child. Children expect of us to behave mature, are glad when we understand them (not in a \"fake\" way as some try) but are truly horrified when some adult behaves like they do.
Mostly children try to grow up as fast as they can, which is the saddest part of all.
In a club, I started to chat with some girls that came up to me to compliment my dress, clearly they were under-age and shouldn't even be there. I asked them how old they were, and they told me to guess, I said a year under their true age and they were offended! (They guessed me 5 years older.) I asked them why they want to grow up that fast and they just ran for cover. lol Afterwards I had to stop a drunk friend from hitting on one of those girls. He was cursing the rest of the night why they let underaged kids in the club, how he wasn't a pervert etc. I didn't know should I laugh or cry... :silly:
Sorry for my rambling!!!
I myself have plushies, action figures and lots of other \"childish\" stuff; primarily due to my age (I'm not that old!) but I gave a lot away just because it made someone other happy and I had more space for books, cd-s and *to breath*. :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 5 months ago #9457 by cemwerewolf
I'm not that old either, turning 25 right away, but a lot of people around me think that i should give up my collection and act more mature. I have given away some things in the past to people who I knew would appreciate them but I adamantly refuse to let go of some of my more prized posessions. Why must everyone expect a grown person to be so serious all the time? Why can't we have a little fun?!

More
14 years 5 months ago #9458 by SkieShauphen
I suppose you could say I'm the same way...not really sure. My possessions will never leave my side no matter how old but everything I own would be owned by someone my age I suppose. So we shall see.

Meaning comes from within.

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds