Show Navigation Menu

Thanksgiving

More
14 years 4 months ago #9622 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Thanksgiving
Oh..Wow.

Does give you a new view on 'Thanksgiving' once you hear the background to it. I always assumed it was some happy-family-US/Canadian thing. Couldn't it be seen as extremely insulting to be celebrating Thanksgiving, then?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #9638 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Thanksgiving
There is a lot of debate as to the ethics of celebrating Thanksgiving. But, those who don't know a lot of the history really do see it just as the happy family thing. Personally, though I will sit down with my family to the meal, I celebrate this time as harvest. The productivity of the year is taken in as thwe chills of winter approach so we can be thankful for the gains we've made in the year.

More
14 years 4 months ago #9653 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Thanksgiving
I think if 'Thanksgiving' was an English tradition, it'd probably be scrapped due to the history of it. The English are really touchy about not offending others these days.

I don't know about in other countries, but over here, they had to change nursery rhymes so as not to offend people, e.g. \"Baa baa black sheep\" is now \"Baa baa rainbow sheep\"...I'm not kidding. >.< The names of classroom equipment can't contain certain words either..So a 'whiteboard' is now a 'drywipe board', even though the board is white, and a blackboard is now a 'chalkboard'. I think the word 'brainstorm' had to be changed to 'spider-diagram' as well..The list is endless. Some of them I really can't see where the insult is, like in the blackboard/whiteboard example.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #27872 by StephenG
Replied by StephenG on topic Re: Thanksgiving
YEAH, I KNOW I PUT THIS ONE OUT THERE LAST YEAR...
AND YEAH,IT GOT SOME DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEWS...
SOME DIFFERENT OPINIONS...
BUT I THINK THAT IS JUST FINE;
IF WE ALL AGREED,HOW BORED WE WOULD BE :unsure:

SO...
DUSTING IT OFF ONCE AGAIN,
(BLACK MAGNOLIA, YOU CAN PUT IT BACK IN STORAGE AFTER FRIDAY, LoL)

WHAT ARE YOU MOST THANKFUL FOR THIS YEAR??

-MY ANSWER IS SIMPLE:

I,STEPHEN G. AM SO VERY THANKFUL TO HAVE SURVIVED AFTER BEING STRUCK BY THAT S.U.V. LAST THANKSGIVING THAT NEARLY KILLED ME..still hurting, but it beats the alternative...
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by StephenG.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27882 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Thanksgiving
Most thankful for..Hmm..

Uhh..Probably the support of my friends when it comes to stuff..And the support of my teachers when it comes to crazy decisions I make. :blink:

More
13 years 5 months ago #27886 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Thanksgiving
We don't have Thanksgiving here in Croatia. It's primarily celebrated in the USA and Canada...
Well, I'm thankful for having such wonderful friends at my side. :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds