Show Navigation Menu

Remembrance Day

More
14 years 5 months ago #8784 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Remembrance Day
cemwerewolf wrote:

If I had been working today, it would have been business as usual I'm sure. But, as I was home I observed the minute of silence and my own rituals. I have not, however, worn a poppy for the past two years. My grandfather, who was a veteran in the army engineers, passed away two years ago and his funeral was on November 10th so we were all wearing our poppies. Since then I just haven't been able to wear this symbol . . .

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather... it must be tough to see all the poppies around.

It's a weird time of year for me too. My father, who I did not know well at all, fought in WWII. He lied about his age and joined up when he was about 16. I watch a lot of the footage on the History Network, and it seems to bring it closer somehow, to think of him having been there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8792 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Remembrance Day
Mm..I remember hearing about the deaths of the last WW2(?) veterans in Britain.. I quite enjoy history, and the loss of someone who was there and could recall what happened makes me feel quite empty.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8798 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Remembrance Day
There have been a lot of members of my family who joined the military for WWI and WWII. There's a lot of stories in the family about what it did to the people, how they were different when they came back so it is sometimes difficult to watch the documentaries. But, then again, no one actually wants to talk about what happened during the war so I find it something of an odd comfort that there are records of these pivotal events out there even if I don't know the personal tales of the family.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27417 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Remembrance Day
Morgana wrote:

I'm curious to know what, if anything, is done in other countries?

The day isn't commemorated here in Croatia. As I know, it's a Commonwealth thing. I think that's pretty much a shame because a lot of people here were also in WW1 and WW2...

My great grandfather fought at Sicily in WW2 and my grandfather's brother got killed by Fascists during the war because he was a Partisan...

Hope people aren't bothered with me bumping up the thread again.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Attachments:

More
13 years 5 months ago #27432 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Remembrance Day
No, not at all.

Hrrm..Wish I knew where people were buying the more hardy poppies..We've bought countless paper poppies already this month, and they keep getting wrecked somehow..Either rained on..Food on them..Or crushed in bags..Argh..List goes on..

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #27459 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Remembrance Day
black_magnolia - No, not bothered at all. People need to stop and remember, and give thanks to those who have fought for them. I hadn't really thought about it being a Commonwealth tradition, but it does make sense now that you mention it.

Envy - The poppies we get in Canada are sort of plastic-y, so they hold up very well. The Royal Canadian Legion sells them in malls, grocery stores, etc., for a donation, not a fixed price.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Morgana.

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds