Show Navigation Menu

Computers

More
14 years 6 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #7169 by CorpseQueen
Computers was created by CorpseQueen
The weirdest thing just happened to me...

I went to bed as I should last night, shut the computer down a bit earlier then usuall, and read most of the evening. Yes, the computer was going to update itself when I shut it down, but it does that almost every night...

I get home from school, tired after not sleeping enough (what, interesting book... who can blame me?), and place myself in front of the computer. But something's wrong. That's not my usuall background... where's my short-cuts?
I start looking, and realize - everything's gone. There's two programs still here, but everything of vaule is gone. Not that I save my writings or important things on a computer, I don't trust them nearly enough to do that, but all my favorites, my sites... that was half a lifetime of browsing the Internet, and I'll never get them all back... I've been there before you see, and lost a few series and intersting places because I have not idea of what they where named.

I keep cool. It's not the end of the world, I got my stories and novells, but still fell sad, of course. Untill I go searching...
I want to know if I still got MSN, so I search for it as I can't find it myself. And there I fidn a dokument, that I thought I'd lost... I go check it out, I go check the map it's in, and yes! Everything's there! Everything!
My favorites (but I probably have to get them back manually), my documents, my musik and my pictures... all there. Even those on my desk (got that right?)

I'm sorry for the drama, but... I'm a writer... that's what I do... and I'm so happy.

You ever had something alike happen to you? My father thought it was a virus, which is a good guess, but he has never even heard of something alike. The computer erasing everything during the night...
How much do you trust in computers, really?

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by black_magnolia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #7174 by morphea3107
Replied by morphea3107 on topic Re:The Fear - Computers
ohh yeah i know what you mean ...but after a couple incidents like that , i make a backup of all important things ...
i honestly don't trust computers at all ( one day they will take over teh world , and it's happened already ...hehe :laugh: )

More
14 years 6 months ago #7177 by black_magnolia
I trust computers. They won't do anything of their own. People made them so everything that goes wrong is a result of a human mistake made somewhere sometime. A computer virus is also programmed by humans so if there is anything wrong with my computer as a result of a virus, I'll blame the people who made the virus, not the computer itself.
I remember a debate in high school, ethics class. The professor was 100% sure that it was possible that computers would take over the world one day, like in the Matrix movies. I told her, as I would tell anyone, that's science fiction. A computer can't start a life of its own if we don't program it with that ability. A computer can do only those things a human programs it. We are not perfect, we are not gods. There is no possibility we can create something that can think of its own, when that would mean we would have to literally know how thoughts are formed, how emotions start to exist etc. If we would know all of this, then we would have to give a computer all this info and still as everyone can make mistakes, so no one guarantees that there won't be a mistake while programming that computer. End of story.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 6 months ago #7189 by Lonecrow
Replied by Lonecrow on topic Re:The Fear - Computers
Bluescreens are the terror of everyone.. Generally the solution is format.. :S
But there's one thing no one does and everyone cries about it when something bad happens.. Backups..
We should make backups of everything we have in the computer..
Sooner or later something happens.. With or without an antivirus or firewall..
Everyone has their precious data in the computer..
My advice.. Save it before lose it forever...
;)

More
14 years 6 months ago #7192 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:The Fear - Computers
Technology and I definitely do not mix. I cast the computer a sideways glance and it crashes out of sheer spite. I'm so paranoid that, not only do I keep backups of my writing on diskc and memory sticks, I keep handwritten backups. Seriously. It's all written on paper before it goes into the computer and any changes made in the computer get noted on the paper. I just can't bring myself to trust these fiendish machines . . .

More
14 years 6 months ago #7201 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Re:The Fear - Computers
it also happened to me!

Except that I have found nothing ...

Mes hommages.

T.

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds