Show Navigation Menu

Guy Fawkes Night

More
14 years 5 months ago #8087 by AcroCake
Replied by AcroCake on topic Re:Guy Fawkes Night
Morgana wrote:

Guy Fawkes was one of a group of conspirators, who planned to blow up Parliament and thereby assassinate the King of England, in 1605. The plot was discovered (on November 5) before they could carry it out, and the conspirators were hanged. Fawkes was the leader of the group, so every year on November 5 bonfires are lit to celebrate the saving of the king's life. Effigies of Fawkes are burned as well, I think.

Anyone in the UK, please correct me if I've made a mess of this! I think that's the general idea of it though...

Yeah, that's about right.
The leader of the group was Robert Catesby but Guy Fawkes had the job of putting the plan into action. There were religious motives behind their actions, in that the group wanted a greater tolerism toward Catholicism.
Other 'celebrations' include kids and teenagers (usually chavs) constructing grotesque effigies of Guy Fawkes and begging \"Penny for the Guy?\". Quite irritating ;)

We call it Bonfire Night where I live :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8278 by Polaristhe2
Replied by Polaristhe2 on topic Re:Guy Fawkes Night
\"Remember, remember the fifth of November, gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.\"

I on the other hand know of no reason why should a historic event of such magnitude be vivified by a fictional character. Fictional superheroes and comic book villains are all around us, but usually the heroes do not wear costumes or villains build moon bases. So instead of buying a comic (which I do with utmost joy) I read a newspaper. The effect of terror is much greater. The whole forethought of the v for vendetta character is condensed into a single line, the line I quoted at the begging of this post. These things actually happen. Just look around you.

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8289 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Guy Fawkes Night
Polaristhe2 wrote:

\"Remember, remember the fifth of November, gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.\"

I on the other hand know of no reason why should a historic event of such magnitude be vivified by a fictional character. Fictional superheroes and comic book villains are all around us, but usually the heroes do not wear costumes or villains build moon bases. So instead of buying a comic (which I do with utmost joy) I read a newspaper. The effect of terror is much greater. The whole forethought of the v for vendetta character is condensed into a single line, the line I quoted at the begging of this post. These things actually happen. Just look around you.

And why shouldn't it be \"vivified\" by a fictional character? How would you bring a story of a historical hero to the uneducated masses?
I'm fairly sure that there is a great number of people that didn't know anything about The Gunpowder Plot, but hearing about it in the comic, movie, and with the addition of the fact that those were indeed inspired (no matter how marginally) by a real event, have inspired the prior mentioned people to look the event up and learn more about the real facts.
I agree that real heroes are all around us, but don't see the relevance of the rest of your post with this topic. What were you intending to point out? That the real heroes of our time don't get the recognition they deserve? I would have to agree with that, they don't, but how much recognition do they need? I'd rather imagine that a hero did his heroic act out of the goodness of his heart for the greater good and not with the intention to be showered with laurel.
And on a more personal note; your style of expression is a nice refreshment as always, but do try to avoid some \"fancy\" words when it's obvious you're not that sure in their use. From the context of your post I would assume you were meaning vilify rather then vivify, and by the layout of the keyboard I don't think we have a case of misspelling...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8310 by Polaristhe2
Replied by Polaristhe2 on topic Re:Guy Fawkes Night
Vivified. Look it up.

And lols on the \"goodness of his heart\" storyline. That was an act of pure hate filled, oppression fueled anxiety. To blow the center organ of the Imperialistic government. You sometimes truly can't draw a line between fighting for a cause and fighting because of personal, selfish motivations. That's why it is called war after all.

Uneducated masses? The movie V for vendetta is fiction. With a masterful screenplay, but still only fiction. Fictional characters unfortunately do not have to live though each day of their lives, since quite obviously they are incapable of such a thing. Guy Fawkes was inches from succeeding in a monumental epic quest. And he was real. Beat that.

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8313 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Guy Fawkes Night
Polaristhe2 wrote:

Vivified. Look it up.

And lols on the \"goodness of his heart\" storyline. That was an act of pure hate filled, oppression fueled anxiety. To blow the center organ of the Imperialistic government. You sometimes truly can't draw a line between fighting for a cause and fighting because of personal, selfish motivations. That's why it is called war after all.

Uneducated masses? The movie V for vendetta is fiction. With a masterful screenplay, but still only fiction. Fictional characters unfortunately do not have to live though each day of their lives, since quite obviously they are incapable of such a thing. Guy Fawkes was inches from succeeding in a monumental epic quest. And he was real. Beat that.

Vivified - to give, bring life to, animate etc.
I was going more for the general context of heroes etc. - We could start a discussion what is considered heroic and what not, but there is no use of going into such a digression as that pulls the topic of morals with itself.
Guy Fawkes was one of a group of men, he didn't start anything; the only reason his name is so much thrown around is because he was cough in the act.
During the first Bonfire Nights, in fact the puppets od The Pope were burned, not those of Guy. Furthermore, I don't see why a \"hero\" would be honored with burning his effigies...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8320 by Highwayman
Replied by Highwayman on topic Re:Guy Fawkes Night
Tonight's the night folks.

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds