Show Navigation Menu

The fear of \"others\"

More
14 years 6 months ago #5841 by Thurysaz
Bonjour Sisters & brothers members of The Order Of Algoth,

After comments on the topic \"rude behaviors\" I thought this:

It seems that here we are +/- Goths or similar I can see that we are all polite, friendly and thoughtful. So, no monsters or fools ...

In fact, following this, is we who are normal and sophisticated people and not said \"popular.\" We have values that they lost and they have yet to hear we are monsters and we make them afraid \"...

In fact they are not afraid! They envy us! We and the freedom of thought that we represent. We are free inteligent and polite !
But when they want them to be free they act like rude animals ...

Mes hommages.

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5873 by cemwerewolf
I do think that there is still a bit of fear there. It's human nature to fear the unknown and, with polite behavior seeming to be such a foreign thing nowadays, what could seem more strange? As a goth with good manners there is not only the element of behavior but also the image that sets you apart. So a polite goth is doubly strange and off putting thus something to be feared and even reviled even if there is an underlying thread of envy for the life you lead.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5880 by janelle hell
I would say that a great percentage of people act like rude animals, but I think that's perhaps being too kind, as animals can't help it that they're, well...animals. Humans have a choice in how they act, in their interactions with others, and though it generally doesn't help one's case to take the \"low road\", that is what many people choose. It'd be nice if more people would treat others as they'd like to be treated. I'm not saying that the world needs a return of stiff Vicotrian-type manners, but a little bit of common courtesy goes a long way. I think it surprises alot of people when the lady with the mohawk hairdo or the gentleman in eyeliner manages to say \"please\" and \"thank you\" and not the the door fall shut in someone's face, even if said someone is a stranger. Granted, not all goths (or whatever subculture that gets labeled as \"evil\" \"social misfits\" or what have you) behave in a couteous manner (if one thinks they do, one has probably never attended a nightclub, or a concert, for that matter, lol) but I have found it to be true that when people take time to think of what \"image\" they'd like to project, and how that's a reflection of their interests, they oftimes take time to think of how to properly behave themselves.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5883 by anastasia13
I have some strange outfits I tend to wear...in my city there are cowboys galore and I guess normal people with tee/jeans combo...well I was in Target (a store here is US, Don't know how many of you travel) anyway I was in the restroom (guys sorry, bear with me) and a girl asked me for a tampon. She was surprised how I looked and I passed her one out of my purse. She went about her business and I was about to leave she told me that she probably wouldn't have asked me if her mother was around, her mom is a bit of a person that doesn't like \"our kind\" and she really meant that she thanked me because no matter what I chose to wear/listen to music/makeup/jewellry/etc that I was a woman period. That she was glad that I chose to be whom ever I want and she likes that I live the way I want too.

Anastasia

Those who stand in white blessed light might not always be good, those who stand in the inky shadows of darkness might not always be evil.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5920 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:The fear of \"others\"
I think humans have a natural \"herd mentality\" and tend to distrust anyone who is different. It doesn't really apply now, but back in pre-historic times, a stranger might very well be dangerous to you. Or at least, they'd be competiton for the food source.

I don't really look like a goth, more of a rocker-chick. But I get the same sort of reactions from people. They're always surprised when I'm polite and well-spoken, and not a complete air-head. It's fun to mess with people's preconceived notions though!

More
14 years 6 months ago #5926 by CorpseQueen
The hive-mind is very much real. We humans NEED eachother, we need the company an acceptance of others. Some more then others, and some can seek their own company.

Not all goths and the like are polite and good. But then again, I rarely meet someone that react in a bad way against me. Sure, I've had some old woman glare at me, but my grandmother accepts most of me, tho she does not like the more extreme. So I stay low. As with my family at home. But out in the open I don't care much.

The fun thing is that people stare more at you when you look bad. Being different isn't that big a deal from not taking care of yourself... wearing old clothes, not fix your hair, maybe smell a bit, and the girls will stare you down with disgust.

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds