Show Navigation Menu

Breast Cancer Awareness

More
14 years 6 months ago #5382 by black_magnolia
As many of you already know, October is the breast cancer awareness month.
I lost a friend to breast cancer. Doctors diagnosed cancer when she was 18, she passed away with 20. Chemotherapy worked, her hair started to grow again, everything seemed like she was getting better, but the cancer came back and she had to get an amputation. I was shocked when she told me the cancer came back! We all had been thinking she was recovering and then such a blow! To the last day she had been fighting. Writing fanfiction, drawing in her hospital bad till her eyesight failed her... I don't want to write more about her, because it brings back sad memories...

Girls, be aware that it can happen to anyone, young and old.
Regularly self-examine your breasts and if you think some thing's not right, see your doctor; if you're over 40 go on a mammography every year.

Here is a description of how to self examine yourself if you're not sure.

Seven P's of Breast Self-Examination:

1. Position: Inspect breasts visually and palpate in the mirror with arms at various positions. Then perform the examination lying down, first with a pillow under one shoulder, then with a pillow under the other shoulder, and finally lying flat.
2. Perimeter: Examine the entire breast, including the nipple, the axillary tail that extends into the armpit, and nearby lymph nodes.
3. Palpation: Palpate with the pads of the fingers, without lifting the fingers as they move across the breast.
4. Pressure: First palpate with light pressure, then palpate with moderate pressure, and finally palpate with firm pressure.
5. Pattern: There are several examination patterns, and each woman should use the one which is most comfortable for her. The vertical strip pattern involves moving the fingers up and down over the breast. The pie-wedge pattern starts at the nipple and moves outward. The circular pattern involves moving the fingers in concentric circles from the nipple outward. Don't forget to palpate into the axilla.
6. Practice: Practice the breast self-exam and become familiar with the feel of the breast tissue, so you can recognize changes. A health care practitioner can provide feedback on your method.
7. Plan: Know what to do if you suspect a change in your breast tissue. Know your family history of breast cancer. Have mammography done as often as your health care provider recommends.

For premenopausal women, BSE is best done at the same stage of their period every month to minimize changes due to the menstrual cycle. The recommended time is just after the end of the last period when the breasts are least likely to be swollen and tender. Older, menopausal women should do BSE once a month, perhaps on the first or last day of every month.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5386 by cemwerewolf
Thank you very much for posting this information. And I am terribly sorry for your loss.

Many of the women in my family have fought breast cancer but fortunately seem to have won the battle for now. Though other cancers have stolen precious lives from us all too soon. It is important for everyone to know the signs of cancer, breast and otherwise, so it is very kind of you to make this information available to those who otherwise might not know. Thank you again.

More
14 years 6 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #5398 by black_magnolia
cemwerewolf, you don't have to thank me, I'm happy if I can help anyone with this. I wish no one has to experience such things...

I'm sorry for sharing such details but if that means I've gotten someone to think and take more care of their health, I did something right in my life.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5400 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Re:Breast Cancer Awareness
Very good idee Sister Black-magniolia!

Mes hommages.

T.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5411 by Aftermidnight
Black Magnolia, I think it's so good you've done this. I'm very sorry for the loss that breast cancer has dealt you, but you're doing something really selfless and loving by raising awareness. Kudos.

More
14 years 6 months ago #5445 by Daruma
Replied by Daruma on topic Re:Breast Cancer Awareness
Very good idee of subject.

Thank you Black-Magnolia.

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds