Show Navigation Menu

Symbols & Writings

More
13 years 8 months ago #24760 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Symbols
Thanks Envy, very interesting! I would think you would have to have very good penmanship to write in this language... seems like one little slip could change the meaning of the symbol very drastically.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24780 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Symbols
Morgana wrote:

Thanks Envy, very interesting! I would think you would have to have very good penmanship to write in this language... seems like one little slip could change the meaning of the symbol very drastically.

:P You'd be surprised. I've seen Canto/Mand waitresses have extremely messy writing before (literally, a couple of messily scrawled lines in a rough shape), and yet the basic message still got through. It's pretty much the same with any language I would have thought. There's the way you're 'meant' to write, but everyone still has their own style of handwriting and way of doing things.

What can be irritating is the whole simplification thing though. My parents were both brought up learning traditional Chinese..So whenever simplified versions are used, it takes them a while to figure it out, and they grew up surrounded by the language.

I, on the other hand, would stand no chance at figuring out simplifications, seeing as I chose to go against being surrounded by Chinese culture (which I do regret a bit - I quit 'Chinese school' at the age of 10 so my knowledge of writing is pretty limited, but I plan on taking it up again sometime).

:S

More
13 years 8 months ago #24810 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Symbols
Envy wrote:

It's pretty much the same with any language I would have thought. There's the way you're 'meant' to write, but everyone still has their own style of handwriting and way of doing things.

Fair point... my handwriting looks nothing like it \"should\". If I'm writing something that someone else will have to read, I really have to take my time to make it legible. But if I'm just scribbling a note for myself, it's pretty bad...

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #24819 by Envy
Morgana wrote:

Envy wrote:

It's pretty much the same with any language I would have thought. There's the way you're 'meant' to write, but everyone still has their own style of handwriting and way of doing things.

Fair point... my handwriting looks nothing like it \"should\". If I'm writing something that someone else will have to read, I really have to take my time to make it legible. But if I'm just scribbling a note for myself, it's pretty bad...

:P Yup. My handwriting is awful. I think I have a picture of it when I was in year 8..So..Around the age of 13.

EDIT: Looks like the file is too big..Let me fix that..

This was from a science book. :woohoo: In case you're able to read it and wonder what I'm on about. You should see essays of mine. A teacher's nightmare.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24866 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Symbols
Envy wrote:

:P Yup. My handwriting is awful. I think I have a picture of it when I was in year 8..So..Around the age of 13.

EDIT: Looks like the file is too big..Let me fix that..

This was from a science book. :woohoo: In case you're able to read it and wonder what I'm on about. You should see essays of mine. A teacher's nightmare.

The picture is quite blurry, but it still looks more decent then my handwriting! :silly:
And now back to symbols! ;)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #24887 by Envy
:P Heh..I was made to clean out my room yesterday..Found an old folder and damn, I was surprised when I looked inside.

All of the stuff from my Greek and Latin course was in it..I was astounded. There were pages of Greek written by me and I could no longer make sense of it.

I tend to think of languages first, when I think of symbols.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Envy.

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds