Show Navigation Menu

No Car Day

More
14 years 7 months ago #4062 by black_magnolia
No Car Day was created by black_magnolia
On the 22nd September was the No Car Day. Did your town/city/place-where-you-live participate or mark the day in a special way?
In Croatia some of the bigger cities closed their centers for car traffic. In my hometown an organization for the families of car-accident victims put black balloons on the main square and was distributing leaflets trying to raise awareness of traffic dangers.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #4087 by Zenith
Replied by Zenith on topic Re:No Car Day
Wow, to be honest I've never heard of this until now, because in my town nothing of this sort happens, although it is a bloody good idea. My town is relatively small yet in the past year it simply got too crowded because virtually everybody owns a car here. True, for some it may be necessary, but I repeat, it is a small town and distances are not that great so I just can't understand those who drive cars instead of walking to the nearest store or kids who drive their car to school, although school is only a few blocks away. Honestly, I have a strong dislike for cars, they are so harmful to the environment yet people don't understand that, and they don't understand that pollution is not a reversible process. I think there should be more no-car days each year and more parts of the world should embrace this idea.

the thread of life lies severed on the brink of paradise.. .

More
14 years 7 months ago #4143 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:No Car Day
The idea started in China in 2007 so it's quite new, but I agree that we could all benefit from more no car days all year round!

I come from a small town myself and almost everything is in walking distance for me. I have a driving license but haven't used a car from the date I got my license. Some old granny hit the car while I was doing my practical test for the license, it was her fault completely, the police confirmed it etc. but I was scared even before then to drive, I don't really know why, but it's like a phobia with me. So I walk (or my parents drive) and here in the city where I go to university I use public transport. My mom nags me to start driving but I rather walk 3 miles then drive myself.

People generally don't take enough care while driving, I got almost hit on the pedestrians crossing while I had green and red was for the cars, some idiot in a Mercedes was in a hurry and thought that the red light isn't meant for him!

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 7 months ago #4154 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:No Car Day
Sounds like a great day.

My boy (as in boyfriend) lives in a small town. Which means he can't get anywhere without a car, as the only thing they got in walking distance is one food-store and three banks. School's in the bigger town nearby, so there's some bussdrive there.

But in big cities I don't get the idea. Why drive? What's the point? Eternal traffic jam, unbreathable air... I'd take the train anyday.

Not to good at cars or busses anyway... usually get ill or a headache, especially when reading, if there's lots of lights outside (the fast shifting from shadow to light all the time just doesn't appeal to me) or if I'm hungry/thirsty. So, I'd take the train :blush:

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 7 months ago #4158 by natwilaniwartri
Replied by natwilaniwartri on topic Re:No Car Day
nop i doint drive doint want to i know it gets ya to A to B or C faster but you miss so much stuff that happens around ya

and i also doint rust my self if i speed and cant stop

so much go wrong on a 2 wheel petal power bike in ten years and its alot on money every time i need to fix things

More
14 years 7 months ago #4161 by Zenith
Replied by Zenith on topic Re:No Car Day
I use public transport in big cities, and prefer to go by train on large distances, else i would rather use my own two feet. CorpseQueen, it's a wonder to me that you can read in busses. I get motion sick if I try to read or do anything else except watching the road.

the thread of life lies severed on the brink of paradise.. .

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds