Show Navigation Menu

Languages.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13354 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Languages
Ahh I speak fluent English and Cantonese..Was meant to do a French qualification 2 years early but I was too scared and chickened out at the last minute! I really regret that.

I did do a concentrated course on Latin and Greek a few years back, but can't really remember much from it apart from 'agricola cum taurum ambulat'. :woohoo:

I have a lot of ambitions for languages I'd like to learn..I'd like to take French back up, as well as Latin..Then spread to learning Italian, Spanish and Portuguese...On top of that, I'd like to learn Mandarin and Japanese.

Also aiming to learn how to write in shorthand, if that counts as a 'language'. :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #13429 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Languages
I speak English, and I can pick out a few written words in French, due to 6 or 7 years of forced French classes in school. It's spoken much too fast for me to follow though.

I'd like to learn Welsh, since that's part of my heritage, and also Gaelic. Gaelic used to be spoken quite a bit in Cape Breton, but it more or less died out over the 20th century, although there are groups trying to revive it.
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Morgana.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13449 by EmmaLee28
Replied by EmmaLee28 on topic Re:Languages
Gaelic must be pretty cool to learn...I know a singer who sings in Gaelic; I've listened to her before and it's kind of hard to follow :P Good luck with that though!

I'm only wearing black until they invent something darker :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #13462 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Languages
My husband tried to learn Gaelic once. We know a few words in a lot of languages. I am fluent in English, can get by in French, but if I spent a few weeks in France, I am sure it would all come back to me. I used to be fluent, but haven't really kept up with it for the last 15 years or so. I can understand spanish if you speak slowly and clearly, and I know enough Italian to ask for a squirrel, and then proclaim loudly that I NEED that squirrel. I also know a few words in German, Russian, Swedish, and several others, but not more than a handful of choice phrases, nothing actually useful. I would love to learn any other languages. I hate being the American (How do you tell the American in a crowd? They only know one language.)

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13493 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Languages
I think Gaelic would be pretty tough to learn, as the written words don't look the way they sound when spoken. For example, the Gaelic word for \"party\" is spelled \"ceilidh\", but it's pronounced \"kaylee\". I'd really need someone to take a course with me, so we could practice speaking it together. Maybe someday...

More
14 years 3 months ago #13577 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:Languages
I got the second most common name in all of Sweden through all time. Beat that! And it isn't a fun name either, just two pair of letters... made a square in math. Real interesting. I was the only one who had that tho!

I know Swedish (who'd guessed?) and english pretty well. They've told me I write better in english the swedish... hm. Wont do when trying to be a swedish writer, right...

Else, I don't think I'm so very good at language. I tried to learn spanish in school, well I had to, but I regret that I didn't take German instead. Would be much more interesting, as one of my favorite bands sings mostly in german and so on. And I don't know any real spanish anyway... except for a few common words, and a bit of understanding of the language, at least written.

Latin and other dead languages would be interesting to know tho, at least is you're gonna write fanatasy and such... always a fun way to spice it up, but latin is so common so I think I'd rather take a language like Gaelic (or just old Swedish! My boy's searching up names in it, and probably all our animals will be named after that kind of names... but it is real fun tho)

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds