Show Navigation Menu

Absinthe

More
14 years 8 months ago #538 by Veszdrin
Replied by Veszdrin on topic Re:Absinthe
this is probably a dumb question but is absinthe still banned in the u.s? i want to get some but i wasn't sure if it was still banned or not.

Those are the words of someone who does not know true despair....If you do not know it, I will teach it to you...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #539 by Vivaris
Replied by Vivaris on topic Re:Absinthe
Yes, it is legal in the US but I'd imagine it wouldn't be the hallucinogenic variety nor the full blown 70%+ ABV, but somewhere in the 60-65% range which they sell in most countries in the world, since most people that would buy absynthe would just do it for the high alcohol content so they'd drink it in straight shots as much as possible to then brag about how hardcore they are. However if you'd wanna get your hands on the more \"original\" types of absynthe I'd suggest taking a trip to Europe, more specifically Slovakia or the Czech Republic since it still seems to be quite popular there and restricted only on paper (having lived in Slovakia for 2 years).

The dream is alive...

More
14 years 8 months ago #540 by Veszdrin
yeah i'm looking for the more original absynthe. however i'm not so keen on the black licorice taste.

Those are the words of someone who does not know true despair....If you do not know it, I will teach it to you...

More
14 years 8 months ago #550 by Vivaris
Well, that's what it's gonna taste like, pretty strongly too, with or without sugar :P It's really the type of thing you either love or hate.

The dream is alive...

More
14 years 8 months ago #551 by Veszdrin
hmmm. i have had a drink when i was in greece called ouzo. it had a strong taste like black licorice. needless to say, i only had it once. :P i don't know if you have ever tried it or not but if you have, how would you compare it to absinthe as far as the taste?

More
14 years 8 months ago #552 by Vivaris
Well, to me ouzo tastes like plain mouthwash (ie. I think it's absolutely vile :P), Absinthe feels incomparably smoother going down your throat, it feels more like it has a thicker texture (it actually doesn't, but it just feels like that). The flavour is also much more potent than ouzo, even more so with the sugar. It's very smooth but also makes it feel very warm going down your throat, which ouzo doesn't do to the same extent.

The dream is alive...

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds