Show Navigation Menu

The abuse of power.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24462 by Thurysaz
The abuse of power. was created by Thurysaz
Bonjour sisters & brothers members of The Order Of Algoth,

What do you think people who abuse their power?

You certainly have suffered of \"abuse\" at work by a \"little chief\" who, having a shitty life with him, takes advantage of \"power\" conferred by his profession to make you drool in your workplace.

Unfortunately this kind of practice does not occur only at work. Do you have any examples?

Mes hommages.

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #24480 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:The abuse of power.
Lots of examples come to mind. I won't go through them all as I hate to think of them.

As for me..I completely loathe the abuse of physical muscle-power. I've been bullied a lot throughout my school life and my ex-boyfriend was pretty abusive too.

Ugh.

Loads of people deliberately treat Chinese people badly as well, because they know we're all mild in nature and even when we're thinking \"FUCK YOU!\", they know we won't act on the thought. In England, no one's racist to Africans or Indians because they know they'll get a reaction, but Chinese people? We get all the shit.

Just thought I'd throw that in, as my mother and I got ripped off at the local fruit market this afternoon. My mum paid for 7 oranges and the market guy gave her 7 mouldy ones. We both thought about turning around and complaining/asking for money back, but decided to just walk away and not shop at that stall again. That guy knew that we wouldn't complain.

Fucking bastard.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24505 by Verminaard Draconis
You see, here in Quebec we don't let this to happen because it is not a good way to act in front of people. For us, in many places we do respect our client and people because they brought us the money. What ever you are, Chineese, japanese, african, muslim or whatever the culture you are in, we accept you as you are because if you don't like the way we act, you won't come back. And its just with a bit of respect that you will come back.

Your's truly!

E.

From the death came the Living and after a perfection of that solution came the glory!!

More
13 years 8 months ago #24509 by black_magnolia
Envy, I don't really think that salesman sold bad oranges to you because you are Chinese, he would probably do it to anyone. As Verminaard pointed out, it's bad for business to be rude to customers, any good salesman knows that and it isn't really a case of abusing power. The customer has the power to decide where they will buy, it would be an abuse of power if that salesman would be the only person in the whole city selling oranges...

I personally never had someone abuse their power on my own skin; I don't count the bullying in school, because it's now trivial and I always handled that fine on my own.

Hmmm... Example of someone abusing their power: professors asking payment for a passing grade.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24518 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:The abuse of power.
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy, I don't really think that salesman sold bad oranges to you because you are Chinese, he would probably do it to anyone.

*Shrug* He seemed to give us a certain look which I interpreted as pretty mocking and hostile whilst making the transaction. The kind of look that people gave when Susan Boyle first went on stage and hadn't opened her mouth yet.

It's just little things like that which get to you. It's the worst when you're travelling and having to go through airports. Lots of airport staff are very hostile to you if you're not 'white'. They will automatically bark questions and give you a hostile tone and even ask for a visa before you show them your passport and then they realise that yes, we're actually British citizens and pretty damn offended..As soon as they realise you're local, it's suddenly all sugar and spice. My mother experienced the same thing with a person who worked at the airport and helped people find coaches home.

The woman would be as sweet as sugar and would help guide any white people who asked her for help finding their coach. The moment a person with an accent came along, she would roll her eyes and shout a coach number and turn her head away in an agitated, arrogant manner. My mother thinks she may have been pissed off at all of the accented Chinese students which have flown over for the start of the coming university year.

It's just attitudes like that..Pisses me off.

Back to the topic anyway -

I might've mentioned it before, but a Chinese policewoman tried to confiscate a belt I was wearing for no real reason. Her 3 colleagues had told her and us that the belt of mine was fine to carry on board the plane, but the woman continuously argued with her colleagues throughout the security check and eventually confiscated the belt off of me. Her reasoning was that the design of my belt would 'scare passengers'.

We know how things in China work - Real leather is worth a lot and very hard to come-by. It was very obvious she wanted to flog it somewhere for a lot of cash.

After many arguments with a lot of airport staff, I finally got the damned belt back.. :angry:

Ugh..Travel and I don't go together. But I guess it could be worse - I'd get a lot more hassle if I was a certain religion and a certain race.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #24527 by Verminaard Draconis
Envy wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

Envy, I don't really think that salesman sold bad oranges to you because you are Chinese, he would probably do it to anyone.

*Shrug* He seemed to give us a certain look which I interpreted as pretty mocking and hostile whilst making the transaction. The kind of look that people gave when Susan Boyle first went on stage and hadn't opened her mouth yet.

It's just little things like that which get to you. It's the worst when you're travelling and having to go through airports. Lots of airport staff are very hostile to you if you're not 'white'. They will automatically bark questions and give you a hostile tone and even ask for a visa before you show them your passport and then they realise that yes, we're actually British citizens and pretty damn offended..As soon as they realise you're local, it's suddenly all sugar and spice. My mother experienced the same thing with a person who worked at the airport and helped people find coaches home.

The woman would be as sweet as sugar and would help guide any white people who asked her for help finding their coach. The moment a person with an accent came along, she would roll her eyes and shout a coach number and turn her head away in an agitated, arrogant manner. My mother thinks she may have been pissed off at all of the accented Chinese students which have flown over for the start of the coming university year.

It's just attitudes like that..Pisses me off.

Back to the topic anyway -

I might've mentioned it before, but a Chinese policewoman tried to confiscate a belt I was wearing for no real reason. Her 3 colleagues had told her and us that the belt of mine was fine to carry on board the plane, but the woman continuously argued with her colleagues throughout the security check and eventually confiscated the belt off of me. Her reasoning was that the design of my belt would 'scare passengers'.

We know how things in China work - Real leather is worth a lot and very hard to come-by. It was very obvious she wanted to flog it somewhere for a lot of cash.

After many arguments with a lot of airport staff, I finally got the damned belt back.. :angry:

Ugh..Travel and I don't go together. But I guess it could be worse - I'd get a lot more hassle if I was a certain religion and a certain race.

Another way of accepting people here, you can just married a white man and it would be just easy for you to get what you whant if its too hard now. But in second thought, start to put a smile on your face and ask things quite simple, be kind with them by opening doors to them, things like that are appreciate and they will look at you in a different way.

TT for now!

Your's truly!

E.

From the death came the Living and after a perfection of that solution came the glory!!
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Verminaard Draconis.

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds