Show Navigation Menu

Perseid meteor shower

More
13 years 9 months ago #24080 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Perseid meteor shower
I sat out for a while last night and saw a few meteors, maybe 12 or 15. There probably would have been more if I'd stayed up later (came in around 11 pm), but I really had to get to bed, seeing as I had to work today.

I'll try again tonight though, since I can sleep in tomorrow. It was dark enough to really see them well, and definitely worth making the effort!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #24091 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Perseid meteor shower
Morgana wrote:

I sat out for a while last night and saw a few meteors, maybe 12 or 15. There probably would have been more if I'd stayed up later (came in around 11 pm), but I really had to get to bed, seeing as I had to work today.

I'll try again tonight though, since I can sleep in tomorrow. It was dark enough to really see them well, and definitely worth making the effort!

Oh! I'm so jealous! The cloud is my bane at the moment. It's looking as if I shall have to wait until next year to see any meteors.

It is an annual occurance, right?

More
13 years 9 months ago #24104 by iHauntTheSepulchre
I have a nagging feeling that I've missed it here in Australia...

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 9 months ago #24110 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

It is an annual occurance, right?

Yes, it's an annual occurrence, but it's possible to see \"falling stars\" :silly: during the whole year.

\"The Perseids is the name of a prolific meteor shower associated with the comet Swift-Tuttle. The Perseids are so-called because the point they appear to come from, called the radiant, lies in the constellation Perseus. The stream of debris is called the Perseid cloud and stretches along the orbit of the comet Swift-Tuttle. The cloud consists of particles ejected by the comet as it travels on its 130-year orbit.\"

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 9 months ago #24115 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Perseid meteor shower
Sorry to the Southern Hemisphere friends, but it is best seen in the Northern Hemisphere. The further north the better, in fact. The other night there was 1 per minute visible, but not here, since we were blanketed by clouds for the last 3 days. We have had clear, dry weather here for a month, and when the needed rains finally come, we miss the meteors. Oh, well. There are a lot of meteor showers through the year (Leonids are in November, I think). I wish I had seen these, though. :(

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
13 years 9 months ago #24121 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Perseid meteor shower
Hmm. How long does the Perseid shower last? It's still cloudy and rainy for us. Grr!

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds