Show Navigation Menu

People with special needs

More
14 years 1 week ago #20332 by Kelaiah_
There was a symposium today, and we were talking about establishment of Croatian society for mental health of persons with intellectual disabilities. I was really happy to see that people finally realized how important it is. I hope this will continue developing :)

<3 You. / Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell the storm how big your God is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #20340 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:People with special needs
Morgana wrote:

When I was in elementary school (age 5 to 12) there were a few kids who were skipped ahead a grade, since they were so far advanced compared to the grade they should have been in, for their age. I'm not sure if they still do that or not though.

Kids used to fail occassionally and have to repeat a grade, but I don't think they do that anymore, since it's \"bad for their self-esteem\". So they're allowed to move forward along with everyone else, even though they're not really prepared for the next grade level. I can only imagine that it would get more and more frustrating every year, as you fell further and further behind.

Yeah, in the UK we don't have skipping ahead or repeating years. If you're G&T, you often get taken out of class to do some extra work in primary and in highschool/college you'll either get work from the year above whilst staying with a class your age (so you have friends but are moving at a speed that suits you) or you'll take qualifications in a shorter amount of time to the others.

If you 'fail' your highschool qualifications, you're allowed 3 years to retake and if you continue to fail, you'll have to leave and pay for an education in an adult learning centre as far as I'm aware. It's similar with college qualifications. Usually you only have two years of college/6th form (year 12 and 13). People who need to retake a year stay on for year 14, and after that, you're on your own.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21246 by Kelaiah_
So, this is my dream team :) I'm currently working with them in association called \"The bird of paradise\" and all members are older than 21.

[IMG

[IMG

<3 You. / Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell the storm how big your God is.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21247 by black_magnolia
Kelaiah_ wrote:

So, this is my dream team :) I'm currently working with them in association called \"The bird of paradise\" and all members are older than 21.

I'm happy to hear you are having such a great time at work! & it looks like the others are also having a fun time there. Good work! :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21248 by Kelaiah_
black_magnolia wrote:

Kelaiah_ wrote:

I'm happy to hear you are having such a great time at work! & it looks like the others are also having a fun time there. Good work! :)

Sure! We're now preparing a show because it's gonna be 11 years since the association started with its work. We are all really excited about it :)

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds