Show Navigation Menu

non-goth wedding wear

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #19143 by scootiebee
Okay, I am going to 3 weddings in the next 5 months, and I have no idea what to wear. None of these are goth events, so I am at a particular loss. I don't really have a lot of clothes that aren't black, or dark brown, especially my \"dress-up\" clothes. They are pretty much all black. You can't wear black to a non-goth wedding, I have been informed. Any ideas? I was thinking of going for the same Retroscope.com look I like in either pinstripes, bright blue, or red. (knee-length bustle skirt in satin, with matching sleeveless blouse with ruffles). But I am not sure wearing a sleeveless blouse and flashing my vampire skull tattoo is a good idea at a family event. Any help? Thanks! :)

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #19144 by iHauntTheSepulchre
How about wearing something oriental? That's how I was able to get away with wearing black at my aunt's wedding.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #19155 by black_magnolia
If it's a family event, then I don't see a reason why you can't wear all black. If it's your family, then they know how you dress and won't bother. A wedding is basically a party where people celebrate the union of two people, so I don't see why not wear black? In China people wear all white for funerals and in medieval Spain they wore bright yellow. Colours are trivial.
I wore an Alchemy t-shirt and black cotton pants to my cousin's wedding. I had bought a nice pair of silver trousers and a matching black/silver pinstripe blouse but my family was late (we had to drive 4 hours) so we couldn't change before the service. I was in church and took those official wedding pictures dressed all in black and no one even blinked.
But if you really have to dress a bit more low key then usual, then I think any colour that you like will do the trick; also, it's a good idea to wear something that covers your tattoos. People are generally more weary of visible tattoos then of people clad all black.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #19159 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:non-goth wedding wear
Probably best to have something that covers up your tattoos. I reckon dark blue or dark red are great alternative colours - It's what I wear when weddings and such formal events come up. I usually go for a kind of..Ballgown style..But that's just me. I just have to be concerned about not upstaging the bride with a bigger dress or something. :woohoo:

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #19174 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:non-goth wedding wear
You can't wear black to a wedding? Uh-oh, I did just that a few years ago... no one said anything about it, at least not to my face!

Depending on how close you are to the bride and groom, and how fancy the ceremony is, you could probably get away with wearing something you already own. Do you have any coloured tops to go with a black skirt? That would \"lighten\" up the outfit a little bit. It probably would be best to cover up the tats though, no matter what colour you wear.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Morgana.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #19195 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:non-goth wedding wear
It is my nephew, my husband's brother's son, but I haven't seen him or other family that will be there in several years (well, more like 7 or 8 years). They probably remember me as a post-baby bore as far as clothes go. And the wedding is outside, in the sun, in the heat, so I don't want to wear something too heat-inducing. I will wear short sleeves to cover the tat, but not long sleeves. I don't want to roast. And I think I might go with a black skirt, jewel-tone blouse. I think that would work. Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it! It is just that I haven't see some of these people in a long time, so I can't as easily judge their reactions. Thanks again!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds